Halt to trot........How??

Monty

Nov 16, 2001
On a farm
Visit site
IN the new Grade II para tests for 2010, you have to halt at A, follwed by rein back four steps, proceeding forwards then into working trot. When I ask Max to trot on, he does a brisk walk for about three strides then goes into a very willing trot. I definitely haven't found the correct button for 'straight into trot' on Max. :p

Any suggestions of what or where button might be?? Or how it might work??
Thank you.:eek:

I would work up to it using voice and stick (are you allowed voice in para tests?).

Normally I would advocate use of seatbones to strengthen the aid but that is obviously impractical for you. Rein back to trot involves a raising and lightening of seat for rein back followed immediately by a forward release I would describe as tucking your bottom under.

I usually establish the halt, then give the aids to go forward, but hold back with the reins, keep pushing for the forward movement until I can feel the horse 'coiling' himself, then ease off on the reins, and [hopefully] he goes forward into trot - you might have to keep the leg on until he does trot!

Or hold the application of legs for longer... Not sure if this works halt to trot, but how we used to do walk to canter (with canter leg aids obv)

I'd be tempted to at least train using voice aids. You can establish that the word trot means trot from walk to trot transitions or from groundwork (you can always give the voice command while someone else does whatever it takes to get a trot!). Once he's understood that then you can apply it to ridden work at which point you can introduce whatever other aid you want and transfer it over.

I know not everyone agrees with the use of voice aids, but I've always found them invaluable, particularly when teaching something new.

I wasn't very clear in that first post was I?? looking back at it:rolleyes:

Yes, as a Grade II para rider, I can use my voice in moderation, and I do. Not all grades are allowed to. I think it's just I and II, but am not absolutely certain about that, and I think if your physical aids are weak, then it's vital. But I dom't take advantage of it, and I try to be as subtle as I can.

Yes, LindaAd you can use a couple of walk strides to come down from trot to halt. But I'm told that they're not so keen on the opposite. i.e halt to trot. When I go from WALK to trot on Max, just before the letter at which I want to trot, I just do a tiny half halt and ask...'ready Max??' Then he's ready, and I have to hold on to the reins and bang on the letter say....'and trot!'. But it's not quite working so well from halt. It's not bad...but I want better. And I definitely feel Max is not understanding me. Maybe what's needed is just to practice. Max is VERY kind, if he's not sure, he errs on the side of caution, so I don't get hurt.... He knows that sudden movements tend to throw me forward, but that tends to be sudden stops rather that sudden movements forwards, but if I ask ANYTHING different, he has to check with me, that I really mean it.:)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. My riding has changed a little eml, from when you saw me on Rubi, because I'm fitter, Max is less broad about the beam than Rubi, and because Max is more responsive than Rubi. He's a much easier ride for me. I can now help a little with seat aids, and I am using those I describe for rein back, but I don't think I've been changing them for the trot forward. I think a combination of all your ideas, plus perservering a little longer is probably the answer. I'll let you know what happens.

Thank you all.:)

newrider.com