hair raising hack!.. & a strap!

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
today was one of those days when Brook goes very green and reactive :( Funny wee girl, she same into the stable fine but as I untied her lead rope - when you pull the loose end on the quick release knot - she nearly wet herself and shot to the other side of the stable!! It makes me really sad when she has days like this.

Anyway, we went off for a hack and all was well until we met a tractor with a loader on , on the road. the same road she has been on a few times already and met tractors with no issues! I could feel she wasnt happy so pulled her into a really wide verge to let him pass, he approached really slowly and was ever so good but just as he was about to pass she spun and took off back up the road!! I managed to pull her up but she got herself in a real muck sweat. The tractor driver turned off his engine and I hopped off and led her past and then got back on. She was really good for the rest of the hack but I could feel she wasnt her usual relaxed happy self, she seemed ready to react at the littlest thing and scooted forward a few times as if something was behind her.

I never get on well with neck straps - i forget to grab them at the crucial moment , i bought an RStor strap which is great but with my airjacket as well, 2 straps on the stirrup bars at the pommel is too much. so I made this - the D rings on the saddle are of course not as strong as the bars but all it’s done for me in the past is given me that split second to balance , its never taken my weight. My previous little highland was very good at spinning 180 and bucking me off, until i got the strap !! I was glad of it today, if Im not using it I leave it as is but it lengthens for when you want to keep a hold of it. I dont even notice it in my hand, my whip bothers me more.

handle_zps330ddofp.jpg

That was a hack and a half then! Glad you have a strap. I know what you mean about green and reactive too, my Storm can still be like that at 20:eek:
Hopefully your next hack will be chilled:)

The weather is making them funny I think, Kia was being a plonk the other day, thought a slightly flapping lunge line on a hook in his stable ( it's lived there for two years) was going to murder him and nearly squashed me against the wall :rolleyes:

They all have their days, sometimes in their heads there is just too much going on.

The only reason I have Dolly in a martingale at all is because I love the exact position of the grab strap on her hunter style martingale. It has given me just that little bit of split second timing to use it as a 'Jaysus' strap and regain my composure at moments of impending doom lol!

I did use to use a custom made neck strap but it never seemed to sit in the most useful place to grab when it all went pear shaped, I would always rather grab something like your solution or mine....far better than an unwitting jab in the mouth that could cause many more issues down the line in an already spooky horse IMO. :)

Reactions: CharliesAngel
The grass in my fields is really growing and there are a couple of ponies on the yard that are having major over reactions to silly things.

Glad you were OK and anything that helps you feel better is a bonus I like the idea but like you I never remember to grab anything in my time of need!

Reactions: CharliesAngel
newrider.com