Hair analysis

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Just seen a snippet on fb about hair analysis.

"For anyone struggling with their horses health/behaviour I offer hair analysis which can look at the horse to see where it is out of balance physically, emotionally and mentally."

Not being funny but how many vets have said lets do a hair analysis to rule out why your horse is being a nut job.

Im not dissing this as they use hair analysis for dna testing and i know there is hair analysis done to rule out certain deficiency. But most vets use blood samples rather than hair analysis.
Curious, can hair analysis really tell if there is emotional and mental imbalance.

Thoughts?

Welllll - looking at that thru the back door —- if a horse has some sort of physical issue that might show up in hair analysis, I can see how a physical disease would affect a horse emotionally and mentally.

I have read about hair analysis in the past and never did see anything credible regarding it, conversely there’# a lot of cures out there that aren’t deemed credible by science but the anecdotal reports of horse owners confirm they work or at least help:)

The vets in my county range from old fashioned, “good ol boy” , to modern will to dip their toes in the alternative medicine waters. Ive been in this area nearly 20 years and none of them have ever suggested hair analysis, but anything is possible:)

I'd certainly use it to see if it could help. It being 'proven' doesn't bother me, there's lots of things I use day to day that vets can't confirm scientifically.

The vets still don't believe there is anything wrong with P's reaction to potassium as bloods didn't show anything significant. As someone that handles and rides him daily - he definitely reacts to it :D

Reactions: Lollykay
Hair analysis is generally looking back at something that happened weeks or months ago (by the time it grows out to be able to be pulled) and what’s in hair isn’t necessarily representative of what’s in the blood or tissues, a good example is iron, pull hair, blood and tissue and you’ll get 3 completely different answers, even different types of blood draws off the same horse can show deficient and normal. It’s got to be the right test for the specific problem that you’re looking into, so hair might work for some specific issues, I think historical drug use (or certain drugs) is one hair can be useful for.

Reactions: carthorse
I don't think I've heard of hair analysis for horses. Interesting. Like Jessey says though it's going to be stuff that's happened a while ago being as hair takes so long to grow anyway.

If It works, I'd use it. Years back I had a homeopathic vet out to Ramsey for - don't laugh - depression. He was being ostracized by the herd, and was so sad. One week later, he was a different pony - part of the herd, made one special buddy, and bright eyed and bushy tailed. So If a hair test gave indication of something wrong or missing, I'd use it.

I think it's slightly more credible than the person my MIL would like me to use, who claims she can communicate with horses long distance by looking at a photo of them.

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey and PePo
I think it's slightly more credible than the person my MIL would like me to use, who claims she can communicate with horses long distance by looking at a photo of them.
To be fair, I've used a long distance communicator & energy healer, so hair analysis is maybe positively scientific by my standards 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Bodshi
newrider.com