Had a stressful night with Honey - Got the vet!

MrsCarter

Lovin' my herd :D
Oct 9, 2007
S.Yorks
Hi all,

Most of you know about the problems that I've had with my native pony Honey :eek:

Tonight I managed to catch the uncatchable minx by sheer cunning and brought her onto the yard to worm her and give her the 1st dose of Regumate.
It was bugging me as to why she'd been prescribed Regumate by the vet who had only looked over the field gate at her :confused: No actual hands on check over or anything. The more I thought about it the more it bugged me, so with a little encouragement that I wasn't being silly (by a couple of good friends at the yard) I rang the vet. I had caught her, she was tied up on the yard and it might have been another 6 months before I caught her again!!!
He came out and scanned her etc and found that it wasn't hormonal and she never even had to be prescribed regumate :(
Her problem is purely that she's a little minx and the vet felt quite sorry for her and said that she needed firm handling and some love :eek:
I DO love her and will do anything for her so from now on I am going to be FIRM but FAIR!!!
Should I complain about her being prescribed a highly potent drug from just being observred in a field?
I'm sooooooooo confused right now.

Sorry for my rambling.

xxx

I would never advocate prescriptions without examination :eek:. That said, it will probably be a more stressful process for you to go down the complaints route - so personally although you must feel let down I would let it go in this case as hopefully Honey's not come to any harm.

Put the matter down to experience - and do not feel guilty - after all you were doing what you thought was best for Honey.

Reading your previous posts I am sure her problem is not a lack of love!

Good luck, I am sure you will get there :D.

Thankyou so much FL :D The vet that came out tonight is the owner of the practice that the prescribing vet came out from.
I didn't complain to him as such but I did say I was unsure of the diagnosis. He was totally on my side with it and said I'd done the right thing :) That did make me feel better. He also said that of things don't improve between Honey and I he'll take some bloods etc to try and help me :D
It was just nice to be told there's nothing physically wrong and that I need to work with her as I would any other fit pony!!! LOL
I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to say in my post LOL.
I guess I just needed to get it all out :D

xxx

Mares on my yard who have had Regumate have had a full internal exam and scan of their ovaries...I'm not sure of the exact procedure but it was a proper phyiscal examination. It seems odd that the vet would prescribe Regumate by just looking at the mare over the gate :confused:

Sorry your mare is being a moo, I swear it's a native pony thing :)

Mares on my yard who have had Regumate have had a full internal exam and scan of their ovaries...I'm not sure of the exact procedure but it was a proper phyiscal examination. It seems odd that the vet would prescribe Regumate by just looking at the mare over the gate :confused:

Sorry your mare is being a moo, I swear it's a native pony thing :)

I thought it was strange at the time when the vet prescribed Regumate just from an 'over the gate examination' but being the trusting person that I am I just took it as read that it was ok :eek:
I feel so silly as I was a little concerned at the time but just went with it :eek:
Feeling a bit stupid as I should have known better. It cost me £80.00 for a now defunct prescription :(
I've now come to realise that I should trust my instincts in future.

The thing is ... My pony only cost me £595 and my Hubby is getting at me saying I could've bought myself a half decent pony with all the money she cost and the vets bills :(

xxx

As the owner of the practice seems to be on your side I would mention in a nice and friendly way that 'although I don't wish to make a formal complaint I am just a little disillusioned that the Regumate etc., cost me £80.00 now have it confirmed by yourself that it was not something she needed in the first place':p

See what he comes back with;) Best of luck with Honey.

when I have had something prescribed from the vets that i then don't use they take it back and take it off the bill (as long as it is not tampered with in any way) - worth a try, especially for £80

blimey!! :eek:

can you sell the regumate? I know you shouldn't but if someone was already using it then they might want it and you might get a few £ back??

at least you have a starting point now. perhaps Parelli might work?

good luck :)

Hahaha!!! I could sell it for it's 'street value' lol :D

I have caught the little monster now and she has her own paddock which is small enough for me to get her :D There's a thread about it too which I posted yesterday with pics to prove it LOL :D xxx

Hahahahaha. Lassoooooooooooing is next on my list of 'things I need to learn to do' LOL

Poor old Oscar ..... serves you right having to work overtime to pay for having him snipped you meanie :p xxx

newrider.com