Had a scare today, but everything fine.

MissMare

Mar 6, 2008
and it was all my fault. :( has shook me up a bit but all ok.

I was in the field with the horses, my friends were there with their baby- who was meeting Holly over the fence. I had put a rope looped round Rhias neck, well it was the dogs lead. I had been holding her as she can be very in your face, and wanted her back whilst Holly stood there being fussed. She had wondered off munching grass and I had forgotten about it. Then, with Rhi a few feet away, she managed to get her leg through the lead, panicked and lifted her head, with her leg coming up with it and her fighting to get untrapped but by pulling was just getting more and more scared, it was literally her hoof next to her neck. I thought she was going to break a leg or her neck, she was rearing and flying back away from us. She fell to the ground where I ran in and jumped on her holding her legs down, talked to her calmly and unhooked her. She stayed perfectly still when I jumped on her. I knew if I put me in the path of her flying around she would be still. She has always had this thing that she doesn't want to hurt me, and I knew it was the only way to help her. At the same time she trusted me to make things right and fought off her flight instinct. There was a moment between us right then for sure. Although it may be connected to the NH (not very natural to me) thing where a horse is forced to the ground and becomes submissive.

I feel so stupid, I should never have let her wonder off with a lead hanging round her neck. I put her in unnecessary danger, her and my friends and baby so close by. Rhia was a bit shook up after but physically she seemed fine, and she is the kind of horse that will quickly forget it ever happened but I can't stop thinking what if. :( so I can't get to sleep. No point to the thread just wanted to try and get it out of my mind really.

Phew, glad she was OK, that's what's really important, and that's what you need to focus on :D Stuff can go wrong when we least expect it, but it sounds like you dealt with it very well, and it's a lesson learned. We all get them :)

It's funny, some horses will panic in a situation like that, where others will wait patiently to be freed, I don't think it's something you can teach, it's just how they are.

I would imagine that most of us have done something stupid at some time - I know I have. So don't beat yourself up about it. That's something you won't do again, and by posting it here, you may help some of us avoid a similar situation - so thank you.

Glad everyone's OK.

Glad you are ok, tis scary when something like that happens. Try to just move on from it, I know I have to. OH had a very bad moment / incident couple of years back with Joe - looking back there was no right or wrong way to handle it, but it worried me for a while and now I have "buried" it.

Thanks everyone, I have got over it now and am just glad I have a horse who doesn't panic if something similar happened again.

She was so clingy the next day it was really funny.

newrider.com