Had a long discussion with my parents last night...

Alice25

...is now horseless :(
Feb 18, 2005
Scottish Borders
... and have decided to sell Alfie and Milly (with the possible option of long-term loan). My original plan was to put them both on loan, and it has been a really hard decision to make. In August I’m leaving to spend a year in Peru, and then hopefully going to university to study medicine. Realistically it’s going to be 6 – 10 years before I’m in any kind of position to look after a horse, and IMO selling is preferable to loaning for that amount of time. My parents helped me to see that it was in their best interests, as well as mine, to find them a new home – even though the idea seems terrifying right now.

I know I’m going to need to start advertising soon in order to find them a new home by late summer… but getting the whole process started is so scary. I know nothing about selling horses, how long it takes, etc. is it a case of getting their adverts up as soon as possible?

I’m really worried about finding Milly a home especially. She’s not broken to ride or drive but needs exercise, she can be nervous, she’s terrible with the farrier, vet, etc. and not always easy to catch. She’s also the most friendly, delightful pony I’ve ever met, but I don’t know if anyone will be able to look past her flaws. With a bit of time she is easy to handle and lead and puts a smile on everyone’s face. Worst case scenario would be that she ends up cooped up in a small paddock, deprived of attention, becoming difficult to handle, and the situation getting worse and worse.

Equally scary, Alfie ending up with someone who only wants him because he's a coloured cob and doesn't really care about him.

The idea of them being separated also really upsets me :(

To be honest just thinking about not having them with me upsets me a lot, so I’m just trying to focus on the next few months and enjoying them. My horses have given me three fantastic years, and all I want is to find someone who will love them as much as I do.

Any advice or support would be great, I feel so confused right now :(

Awww. Big big hugs. You have come to a very difficult decision based upon what is right for your two and for you and that is what matters. I'm sure they will be loved and you can keep in touch and hear how they get on. Then at least if you have any concerns you can do something about them.

Might be worth trying projecthorse for Milly as anyone looking on there will understand that she has foibles! Can't give you any advice about selling I'm afraid as I've never had to do it.

Enjoy your time with them and I'm sure they will totally understand. Take care.

Was also going to suggest putting Milly up on projecthorse...that way people will expect her to have issues and will be taken by a person knowing that. Good Luck, and enjoy Peru

Big big big hugs.
You are very brave to come to a big descision.
Good luck:)

aww..thats so sad but you know its the best thing for all of you!
all the best with your travels and studies though!
im sure you can keep in touch with whoever you sell them too!!

all the best! :D

oh alice, i'm so sorry to read this. I wish i'd a spare couple of boxes, you could have shipped them up to me to live with toby and kez for the next few years :( regarding milly, have you considered gifting her to somewhere like the ILPH? they'd ensure she'd get an appropriate home and keep tabs on her to make sure she was ok. Friends of my parents gifted their horse and mule to the ILPH when they emmigrated so it's always an option to think about. with alfie could you maybe loan with view to buy? that way you ensure the perfect home for him :)

lots of hugs hun xxx

if you gift them to the ILPH they always belong to the ILPH (i think, if its the same thing when they have been neglected) that way when they put them out on loan they are always checking up on them to ensure of a good home also depending on thier ages when you are in a postition to have horses again if they arnt on loan there would always be the possibility of you loaning them off the ILPH (they wont be yours but i think when you loan them off the ILPH they are treated like your own they just belong to the ILPH so they can tak them away in a case of neglect)

xx

Sorry to hear that you've had to make that decision, it must've been so hard. I hope you find wonderful homes for them both. Big hugs xxx

Thank you all so much for your comments.

Hmm, I'd not really considered gifting Milly to the ILPH - definitely something I'll have a look into. Advertising her on ProjectHorse is a good idea too; it's funny, now I've had her a while she's so easy to handle and never puts a hoof wrong (well, unless a scary man with a needle comes near :eek:) the idea of her going downhill isn't good.

thanks eb, I did consider putting Alfie on loan with view to buy. But as I'm going to be out of the country for a year, it would be hard to keep tabs, sort out any financial problems, etc. I don't know how many people would be happy to loan for a year and consider buying after that? I'm thinking maybe I should start advertising sooner than planned.. that way there would be time to arrange a trial period to make sure they were suited, etc. having to way that up against possibly having less time with him.

Thank you all again, it's so good to have NR support through something like this :)

Its a shame you are such a long way away, my friend and i are looking something like milly at the moment!

All the best finding a new home with them, project horse or the ILPH would be a great place to look although through project horse you could always sell/loan to someone with the view to perhaps having her back, but with the ILPH that would be more difficult.

Jenny

What a shame you're not closer jennyec. I could always pop her in a taxi and send her down to you - she actually travels quite nicely :p it's good to know that there are people who would be interested though; once you meet her, you can't help but love her.

Thanks candy-floss, will try to find an internet cafe so I can catch up with NR once in a while :)

Aww. This must be really hard for you. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your time togther, and that you find them both great homes, were your happy and feel that they are safe.

gp:)

xxxxx

newrider.com