Hackneys

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Does anyone have first hand experience of them? Please don't bother referring me to internet links etc, I'm quite capable of finding them for myself!

I'm curious since it turns out Luka is a quarter Hackney and his breeder said that's partly why he's so very sensitive - I'd put it down to the Welsh Cob half, but maybe he's got it coming from all sides! Don't get me wrong, he's a terribly sweet and kind lad who tries hard, but things that most horses on the yard barely register will turn him into a shaking mess and the only type of handling he responds well to is very calm and patient.

Physically it's produced a nice looking horse who is jaw dropping when he gets moving. I'm not sure some of the dropped jaws are out of jealousy though, I've seen some pretty horrified faces and rapid backing away when he's had a dancing session 🤣

I knew a horse when I was a teenager who was half Hackney, half traveller cob/traditional. He was amazingly good looking, minimally marked coloured (my favourite) and with the most incredible action in every gait, toe flicking, knee lifting, high stepping, you name it.

I didn't ride him, he was a grown up's horse, but apparently he was difficult because he had both the imperturbable traditional temperament and what his owner used to call "that ridiculous Hackney". When the Hackney was in charge he would snort and spook at nothing, dance on the spot and do airs above the ground. When the Traditional was winning nothing bothered him. It was a toss up what you were going to get!

Im not familiar with them but an old acquaintance use to break them for driving. I believe he breed them too.

I seem to recall him saying they are very quick and you do need skill with them.

@Jane&Ziggy and @chunky monkey a lot of that sounds very familiar, and while he's only a quarter Hackney I suspect the Welsh Cob half is perfectly adequate compensation in the ridiculous stakes :rolleyes: 🤣 . The action is truly amazing, even when relaxed it's eyecatching and at other times it's out of this world. He's definitely not a horse for a child, novice or nervous rider - he's what the friend who put me in touch with him calls a horseman's horse. He'll try his heart out to please even when worried, but he's very quick to light up and want a lot of reassurance that it really truly is safe and will be ok.

Reading your replies, plus talking to the breeder and looking up Hackneys makes me glad I did find out a bit more about his breeding, and indeed his background. Thank you :)

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
I’ve only had limited contact with them but they remind me a lot of Arabs, lots of snort, blow and flashiness but very gentle beneath it all. I guess they were bred for exactly that, they look good when they’re all het up!

Reactions: carthorse
@Jessey that's the thing, he really is a very gentle soul underneath it all, but I think at his last home he was taken at face value. Forget putting him in his place, all he really wants is gentle touches and scratches, someone to be there so he can bluster in safety.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
newrider.com