Hacking out was brilliant...until!!

natasha109

Jul 15, 2008
Manchester/Oldham
well if you have read some of my threads when i was talking about tommi having one of his trauma's (backing up,throwing his head,running off,jumping puddles and styles) well today he was such a star :) when i go riding i notice he always trips up,well today he did but lost his balance his front leg went so he dropped down he stumbled to the side,at this point i was hanging on around his neck from when he went down and came back up,i was trying to get myself off as i couldnt get myself back into the saddle,but my foot was stuck in my stirrup,i am so glad i have a great bond with tommi because he just stood looking at me as if to say "what are you doing down there mummy" the girls i went riding with were all amazed because if it was them there horses would be off.well i got a little check over and had grazed all my back and elbow :mad: my back is killing now :D well i got back on and off we went carrying on with the ride.

when he is walking out though he will tuck his head so far under its unbelieveable i asked one of the girls to walk at the side to see what he was doing i asked if he was on the bit and they said he is but he shouldnt go that far under :confused::confused: and they said that it isnt causing him to trip up :confused:
does anybody elses horse trip up and tuck there head so far under ???

Awww, bless him, what a star!

I would review what bit your in, and get his teeth checked also - as it seems he is evading the bit quite a lot.

x

Mary trips quite alot when she's out hacking.She doesnt tuck her head under at all but often stumbles, and a couple of day ago almost went down. With Mary though its purely laziness and lack of concentration. If i push her on and give her things to think about, that often helps. x

Awww, bless him, what a star!

I would review what bit your in, and get his teeth checked also - as it seems he is evading the bit quite a lot.

x

he had his teeth done about 2 weeks ago,so it cant be them :D
:confused::confused::confused:
i ride him in a snaffle but im considering a stronger one as he is very strong what would you lot say ?

tripping up or stumblerling is some times the horse being plan old lazy or sometimes just a little unfit. As for tucking in well that could be the bit your using or the way you carry your hands when out hacking.

tripping up or stumblerling is some times the horse being plan old lazy or sometimes just a little unfit. As for tucking in well that could be the bit your using or the way you carry your hands when out hacking.

i woudltn quite say unfit lol,as he has only been out of trotting about 8 month and he gets worked every other day,im going to lend a different bit off somebody of the farm and see what he's like,which bit would u all recommend ?

My horse tends to stumble a bit more if she is due for shoeing. But, it could be a sign of something more serious too, so I would say if it keeps on happening, then get him checked out.

he was shod about 2 weeks ago or coming upto 2 week,ill see how he goes if not i might get an instructor to ride him out and see if they can tell me whats wrong :cool:

When I first got my pony, he stumbled a fair bit. It got a lot less with a change of saddle (the first one interfered with the shoulder action a bit, as he's a cobby build and it was too forward cut), and then a change of farrier (and therefore the shape his hooves were in) solved the problem completely.
Not saying that's why Tommi is tripping a lot, but always worth double checking anything that could be causing it.
No idea about what bits may/may not be suitable, hopefully you'll find the right one soon.
Well done to Tommi for being so calm when you were caught in the stirrup :) A lot of horses wouldn't be.

sounds like a sweet horse, bless:cool::)

is it just after stumbling he tucked in his head?, it could have just been him trying to look more carefully where he was going. other than that it could be the bit or back...i dont no really:eek:

no he does the head thing always,he only does it when he is in a big group its like he's chilled but when he is on his own he is really alert :D

newrider.com