Hacking out alone

martini55

Apr 16, 2004
Scotland
Visit site
Something that I have overcame and am now back to square one again:rolleyes: Basically when I first got Martini she wouldnt hack out alone. So the first winter I had her I spent a lot of time hacking out with the same old sensible horse to gain her confidence and come summer hacking out alone wasn't an issue. Then we moved yards and were back at square one again. What made it worse was my friend's horse was a nightmare to hack out and was very nappy and so she learned a thing or two from him. I eventually had to say I couldn't hack out with her anymore as we were getting nowhere and basically did the same thing as before but it was my mum that came out with me not a horse and eventually I got her going out alone, but not happily as where we were there was always bikes and people walking dogs etc etc to upset her.

So now I have moved yards again and want to try and get her hacking out alone , but this time I don't really have anyone who can put in the time to help me out by hacking out with me all the time, or can my mum come up everytime I want to ride.

So basically just a now I am stuck riding in the school. She is well schooled and so its not a problem of her moving off my leg, but I think it's more to do with insecurity. She used to hate being left on her own in the field or stable (we have overcame that now, but hacking out is the last hurdle!)

I have started some groundwork exercises (From the book 'Perfect Manners') to try and build on our relationship too in the hope that this will help. But I'm stuck for ideas.

I should probably just get on her and go for it (and one day when iI'm feeling up for it I probably will) but I would rather have her hacking out willingly than me making her go as her answer to anything she doesn't want to do is rear, and spinning is apparently a good option too- or even both at the same time
:rolleyes: And although I always sit it out (to the horror of my mum) and she doesn't get away with it, it's really not a good thing as a)she has gone over on me before and this hasn't put her off and b) the first part of the hack is a fenced off pathway with barbed wire and I don't want to risk me or her getting injured.

I really want to get over this problem so I don't have to rely on anyone else to ride or always have to ride in the school. And also I go off to Uni in September and who knows I might have to get someone to help ride her for me/part share her and I think it would be easier to find someone if she could hack out alone.

I have all summer to work on this and I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions as to things I could try??

(Just thought I'd add she is absolutely fine in company)

Last edited:
The best thing I can think of is to start taking her walkies in hand. Just lead her about all over the place, down all the bridlepaths and routes that you would take mounted.

Having someone on the ground is a huge confidence giver for horses. Talk to her pretty much constantly, and praise her. Once her confidence picks up, try longreining her down the same paths. The idea is that she gets used to going in front, and not seeing you so well.

Once she longreins happily, hop back on, and ride out. If she gets upset at anything, jump straight off (don't fight) and lead her until she's settled then get back on and carry on. Just try to finish the ride on board.

She should learn pretty quickly that playing up is pointless because you don't fight, or go home. She just gets led then ridden some more.

My loan arab used to have 'issues' hacking out alone

what i did after struggling for so long with the rearing and the napping etc etc was walk out for about a few hundred yards for the first time, then come home..... the second time increse it by another 15 yards or whatever you feel the horse can deal with....and everytime increase the distance ever so sightly

after about a month or so of this My pure breed highly strung arab settled and didnt feel as insucure out hacking alone

I eventually did a few 45 miles endurance rides on him and he was very relaxed.

hope that helps

kelly x

Thanks for the idea showjumper, but she just trys to bolt off home if I try to lead her as I thought I'd try leading her and hop back on once we got out away from home but got along the road and she basically trys to spin round and bolt off as she knows exactly how strong she is :(

Hey horseyheaven. I'll give that a bash, hmm but I'm just wondering whether she'll think 'ok I went home here last time so I want to go home here now?'- worth a try though, thanks.

If you're doing plenty of groundwork, she should build up enough trust in you, and see you as her leader, so won't feel the need to run home (that's the theory anyway...)

Yeah, she does respect me but I dont think she sees me as her leader, which is why I thought I would try the groundwork with her to try and gain her trust more as I think the problem is insecurity as afterall being isolated and alone is the worst thing that can happen to a wild horse, so its really only their natural instinct.

I think before you try hacking out alone, you really need to get her to see you as her leader - it will make everything else you do with her much much easier :)

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a complete break from hacking out. If it is stressful and having all the wrong effects then the horse (and you) aren't making progress by simply persisting and having bad experiences all the time.

Spend the time working on your relationship and your seat\confidence and then try hacking out again in gentle stages. Changes of environment are big scary things for horses, so it sort of follows that it would cause big changes in behaviour. I'd let everything settle down for a while before trying again - and start very small so that each time you are successful and both have a good time.

Even a hack to the yard gate (not leaving the property) should be enough at first, sit relaxed there for a while and then turn back, untack and praise. Each tiny step that has good associations is much better than trying something a little more advanced that has bad associations. :)

Yeah I have decided that groundwork, schooling and hacking out in company is what I'll stick to just now and I am going to have tons of time after the exams to spend with her working on this.

Oh, look! Here's the thread I missed.....don't worry I won't repeat what I said in my PM it would take up too much space! Never have been good at the short reply!!!

:D ;) :D

newrider.com