'Hacking' in hand

G

Would it be acceptable to take Bryony on a 'hack' in hand. I want to take her out and there aren't many short routes I can take her, one involves going through fields which I would do if I took someone with me. But say I wanted to take her on a proper hack on the roads providing I donned all the usual hi-viz gear and put her bridal on for a bit of added control do you think it would be acceptable.
Be honest I don't mind.

I've seen loads of horses being led inhand round villages etc. Some are youngsters and some are coming back into work but as long as you believe your horse will be fine with it go for it - and enjoy it while the weathers good ;)

We did it many times when we were gradually getting our new, tense nappy cob familiar with the area. We wore hats & hi-vis etc and walked with one leading, other diagonally in front (for him to follow).

But I've since read on here that you should walk on the outside, not on the left as we religiously did!

Traffic seemed to treat us the same - usually respectful, v. occasionally thoughtless. But then several horses are led thro' our village, from field to field.

You could walk her out the back and down the track we rode down, turn left at the bottom and its a nice walk there. Deffo wear the bridle but she will be fine. Great for bonding.

Go for it! It's great ground work and does help you to bond! It also is good if you have a pony that is used to "going" as soon as it gets out! On the roads or off!

Always lead between your pony and the traffic so basically on the right of you pony.

Good luck

maz
xxx

Ive taken Pinnochio out in hand, he is much easier to handle than when riden. Am working him up to long rein him out now, but am very aware that drivers will think it at best odd, at worst, who knows. At the mo we just use our priovate lane. He is sooo good tho

Libbyo :)

Definitely try it, fleur loved it. She was much more confident with me walking beside her and didnt spook half as much ;)
gorgeousfleurpic.jpg

that was our little walk along the BP :) go for it! :D Natxxx

Cheers that makes me feel better. Poor thing is just going to get board and I want to take the opportunity to take her places I might feel a bit worried about to ride like the falling off field:D She'll be fine I'm sure.
I might walk over to Gordo's.
I am gonna be knackered.

In my opinion, it is much more dangerous than taking a horse out under saddle.

Frankly, if there is a problem, you have a much greater chance of keeping control and not losing the horse if you are on board. If something does happen in-hand, and a horse makes to gallop off, you will have little chance of stopping them, and loose horses in open country or on roads is incredibly dangerous.

Fair enough, something to do on very quiet lanes and in closed off areas where there is no chance of escape into danger, but it's something that I think people are not neccessarily aware enough about.

I wouldn't do it myself unless completely neccessary.

She is 100% to hack out under saddle and I'm confident she would be good in hand.
Unfortunatly I can't ride due to her having a sore back.
I think I'm going to take her round the woods first of all and then maybe round the fields at the back of the yard.
I would have never taken my old horse out he was a nightmare, I couldn't even get him out the yard past a van in hand.

i have to hack Curly in hand. Th field is 1.5miles away from the barn so i go down, catch her, put her bridle on and walk her back. Shes usually fine but she's more likely to be silly if im not on board. maybe she feels less secure?
Its worth a try though.

There are times when I feel like going for a walk, and take the horse out with just a halter and a lead. I take the dog too, and off we go. We do not have contained areas- just hundreds of miles of wilderness to head off to.

It is good for my horse because she tends to be herd-bound, and whenever I ride it is with the others. Getting off on her own gives her confidence.

I think that if your horse has been properly trained to give to pressure and you know she leads well and is not inclined to be headstrong, you probably will have no more problems than you would have if you were riding. Sounds like you have a pretty level headed horse, and a walk will do her good!

Theres nothing wrong with Hacking a horse in hand! I have done it a lot with my mare. Especially when I first brought her.

Just be aware some people make comments like ' Arn't horses suppose to be ridden?' Ignore them, your having a fun and it's another way to bond with your horse!

Have fun!

newrider.com