Hacking alone - Can Bach flowers help?

Bessy

Jun 20, 2005
Wilts & Glos
I'm trying to increase my ex-race horses confidence in hacking out on our own - I've seen a few posts about Bach remedies and thought it might help us a little to achieve our goal. I've been taking Rescue Remedy for a number of years and hadn't really thought about using it on animals - I'm not sure if rescue remedy is right for him or if there is a specific remedy I should try for his issues.

He finished racing about a year ago and when I got him he was very withdrawn, depressed and quite thin. I've now got him up to weight, more confident and he is very happy and enjoying life again. He happily hacks out with others - bar the typically TB spookyness, and he frets if he thinks he's getting left behind (but nothing we can't handle), but he is not used to hacking out alone and gets very upset. We always manage to get out of the yard but then within 5 minutes he's shouting and getting all upset - at which point he will not listen to me and will not move away from the leg, he just spins round and dances about/ bunny hops until he's in a panicky sweaty mess. He'll stand and shiver, then when asked to move forward (in any direction - home or away) he'll just start spinning around again . On some occasions he has been so upset that the only option has been for me to get off, calm him down and then walk him back to the yard. Its even worse if his shouting is responded to by another horse, or if we see/ meet other horses out on the hack (even if they are in the far distant). At the moment I am trying to take him out for very short periods coming home before he gets upset and trying to increase how far we go each time .... small baby steps!

I just got some rescue remedy. Is it meant to taste alcoholic????

I'm going to give some to my mare before her lesson as she gets silly about things she has done 100 times before!

Think rock rose is meant to be good for calming the nerves out on the road.

I used to give Storm Bachs flower remedy when we first dared to hack out - not alone mind, OH came with us on his steady neddy! I really do think it helped her - I think it helped me too - cos I was less tense thinking that she'd be "under the influence"!!!

I think you have probably worked out the solution in graduallly desensitising him.

As a racehorse he will have never been anywhere on his own and a year out of training is not a lot. We had one who was allright until you met another horse when you often had to accompany then to their yard!

The only suggestion I would make would be to contact a veterinary herbalist but I think that you sound as if you are taking the best route anyway. I wouldn't persevere to the extent he panicks as once he is in this state he is not going to benefit from the experience.

I'd be careful about using herbal concoctions; definitely try it first when riding in a safe inclosed area. Although these remedies are supposed to be calming the individual animal might not react to it in the way it is intended to. I used to be a vet tech and I've seen calmers actually make some animals more high strung and nervous. Just depends on the way their bodies metabolize it, I guess.

Bach Rock Rose is good to give to horses - 10 drops on hand 20 mins before you set off and a further 10 10 mins later

Kath x

newrider.com