Hacked Luka home today

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
We had a lesson first and then a friend rode up on her horse to meet us and hack home. On the bridleways it's about 3 miles, maybe slightly more, and he was good as gold even on the road section which was unusually busy, but by the time he got home he was tired. He's out in the field now, seeing to the serious business of eating :) .

@Doodle92 sorry by home I meant his new home at a livery yard. To be honest I think I'd generally rather have a horse at a yard, I like the social side of it and also there is support for holidays or problems.

It was a lovely day :) . My friend and her horse were the best company I could have wished for, and it's nice to have him at the yard where he'll be living, though I'll take him back to the other yard for a few days each month to get his schooling in place (he's very green in a school) and have a block of lessons.

Reactions: Huggy
I hacked him out Sunday with the same friend that brought us home, but unfortunately another came along too - three is definitely a crowd particularly when the horse behind is being silly. With hindsight I doubt he's been hacked much in company. Anyway he was unsettled until we had a trot, at which point he was frankly ridiculous and I had to call out to my friend in front to walk. We then put him in front and they hung back a bit and he was far better that way, likewise on the way home when things got a bit fraught when the other horse acted up and upset him. I took him almost the same route yesterday on his own and he was far better, the only thing he spooked at was another ridden horse :rolleyes:

I didn't ride today as I had the vet out to do his teeth. What a mess. Sharp edges and a retained cap, there was a fair bit of work to do but hopefully he'll soon be better about having his bridle on now they've been sorted.

He's settled down nicely in the field and is calmer in the box every day - not shouting today whenever a horse left the yard :)

Reactions: Huggy
Sounds like he's reacted just as one would expect, with his change of home - actually better than some I've come across! Having his teeth done must have felt good for him.

it's sad what some folk think are a necessity and what is not.. Nearly all horses out of Iceland have never seen an equine dentist while our's (homebred) see an equine dentist regularly - he can always say nothing needs doing.

Ditto saddles, bits, hooves, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com