Hackamore viz a viz bitless bridle

rosieg

Oct 11, 2009
Hi - I am seriously considering riding my 16.3 x racehorse with either a Hackamore or a bitless bridle. What is the difference between these two? Is it better to try a Hackamore bit (in the first instance to see how things go?)
How to I measure, his current bridle is a full - does it just fit on to his existing bridle? If I go up the bitless bridle I guess I would need to purchase a difference set up all together - is that right?

All comments welcome!! rosieg:)

Most of the bitless bridles come as complete set ups whereas the hackamore just fits onto your existing bridle (without the noseband). Hackamores come in one standard size and you just adjust the fit to suit.

The actions are very different - in fact every bitless bridle has different actions so it really is trial and error to see what suits your horse best.

I started with a Dr Cooks and it really helped but he learned to lean through it so we are now in a hackamore.

If he is a full in a normal bridle he will be a full in a bitless.

Time to head for ebay:D. I bought (then sold) various ones till I got myself sorted.

Have a look at the website in my sig :)

I really need to get around to typing this up on the website, but basically you can try 3 different types of bitless with a well fitting headcollar and a pair of reins.

Which bitless you choose is all about what pressure your horse prefers.

newrider.com