Haas brushes

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
I saw there were some on sale. For the chestnut/bright bay pack it is still £72. Normally I use a body brush in summer, grooming gloves things in winter and a mane and tail brush and that’s it. Am I missing something? Are they actually better?

There was a thread on this about a year ago. Was it a haas or oyster brush cant remember now. Have a look in the search box it should throw it up. I think someone brought one or the equivalent of.

I bought two Haas brushes which I used on an Iberian type eventer. I seldom use them on my regular rides, all Irish. Just a final polish on Ella. My working brushes and fine curry are Ossler as they are good for weak, elderly fingers to grip

Poor Belle, all she gets is a ‘magic brush’ to scrape the mud off!

I always used to think that expensive meant quality and paying more would mean you’d have something that would last a lifetime, not sure that’s the case these days though. Can a brush really be that good?
The other thing I’d have to question is where do they get the horse hair for the bristles?

Reactions: Trewsers

I posted, decided not to bother with haas but to go for the sommer on pepo’s recommendation, then they were out of stock and then I forgot so I’m still brushless 🤣 I will get some eventually!

Although my problematic scruffy Niko actually isn’t now, I think there’s an awful lot to be said for diet and it can take a couple of years to get it dialled in right and to come through fully. He’s now dappled and shiney and takes very little grooming.

There are different sorts of grooming, arent there? Thorough, military, taking half an hour which was when I worked on a yard. And just brushing away any straw and any poo in the tail before hacking out. Ella has teenage adorers who will plait her up and fuss her every weekend. I keep my grooming box at the yard, but really only so I can get at my own brushes if I need them.

Last edited:
People regularly comment on how shiney robin is and that i must spend hours grooming him. I don’t. Well I lawnspend 30mins “grooming” but in reality it is 30mins of scratching his scratchy spots and cuddles. The mud is removed most days with the grooming gloves. In summer he gets a brush over with a normal cheep tack room body brush. Which made mw wonder if these expensive sets actually make it any better. Looking at the routine there is 4 brushes that have to be used in a set order each time.

Reactions: carthorse
. Looking at the routine there is 4 brushes that have to be used in a set order each time.
Yes and I too think this is rubbish, particularly as they were sold by colour of the horses. I bought my two after high praise elsewhere but I prefer my Western style.

However, it turns out that I need to pay for grooming Ella as I am making use of the horse.
Not something I would contemplate again, as there are local yards who told me I would be very welcome if I ever needed a horse to groom.

Having had two greys for the last 18 years I've never really had a shine! lol
The ginger one is shiny. But it's nothing I do. He gets Magic Cowboy brushed which he loves, followed by fingers and human pretending to be another horses teeth - and then finally a quick whip over with whatever is handy. Usually one of the KB9? Brushes that I won for Chloe back in the day. Or an old old Equerry brush that was Storm's first brush. It's pink. But he doesn't care.

• Love
Reactions: Kite_Rider
Mine just has a bog standard brush that I bought from the kitchen department of a shop. Lol think it's for scrubbing floors.
Oyster is good for the mane and tail as oppose to the cheaper ones when I last looked. But I still have a mane comb.

Bad me, but I rarely brush. Mine doesn't know what mud is. She's currently sniffing the ground where my muddy spot is before she negotiates it. I think she's expecting me to put a rug over it so it's not dirty!

Mine just has a bog standard brush that I bought from the kitchen department of a shop. Lol think it's for scrubbing floors.
Oyster is good for the mane and tail as oppose to the cheaper ones when I last looked. But I still have a mane comb.

Bad me, but I rarely brush. Mine doesn't know what mud is. She's currently sniffing the ground where my muddy spot is before she negotiates it. I think she's expecting me to put a rug over it so it's not dirty!
That’s just reminded me of the day Mr KR came to the yard with me, Belle tied up outside her stable, me rushing round doing chores, Mr KR says ‘is there anything I can do to help’ I say ‘ oh yes please, just grab a brush and get the mud off Belle for me would you’ as I disappeared into the hay barn, omg, came back and there he is brushing her with the yard broom! My then YO standing there with her mouth open in disbelief and my super girl just standing there while Mr brooms her off 🤣

That’s just reminded me of the day Mr KR came to the yard with me, Belle tied up outside her stable, me rushing round doing chores, Mr KR says ‘is there anything I can do to help’ I say ‘ oh yes please, just grab a brush and get the mud off Belle for me would you’ as I disappeared into the hay barn, omg, came back and there he is brushing her with the yard broom! My then YO standing there with her mouth open in disbelief and my super girl just standing there while Mr brooms her off 🤣
Yes I think the bristles on mine are very similar.
Loads cheaper no doubt than the horse ones.

That has creased me up 🤣 God bless Mr KR.

newrider.com