Gulp! Starting JJ back in work tomorrow..

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
...could you all please offer up prayers, cross your fingers, touch wood and whatever else you believe in for a safe 1st ride after 5 months off?:redface:

Farrier put his shoes back on today so no more excuses not to start getting him going ready for my friend's visit to try him on the 21st.

Have made a ring in the field, I know I should lunge him first etc. etc., but TBh Im the sort that if I dont just tack him up, get on him and just get on with it, I will imagine all sorts of dire scenarios and probably chicken out!:giggle: If he snorts wildly whilst I am walking him around shall remain at walk for his 1st day, if he seems chilled out might just do a little bit of trot work:unsure:

Sigh....all I really want to do is throw a saddle on Dolly and amble off over the horizon for a few hours....ho hum....:biggrin:

Awww best of luck. I know what you mean about just getting on with it. I'm the same. I'll watch out for your update :wink:

Good luck. I am sure you will be absolutely fine and afterwards wonder why you worried so much. Everyone (including me) always think of the worst scenarios, when really we should focus on the good things that will happen. Tack up, get on and ride with a definate plan of action. Your horse will be able to sense any undecisiveness on your part and he needs you to be the leader and dictate the ride. Think to yourself that if anything doesn`t go to plan then you are quite capable of handling it. It is all a question of positive thinking. Easier said than done sometimes but it does work.

I hope all goes well!!!

You never know, the break may have done him some good and he may be chilled having got used to his life of luxury :)

Good luck Cortrasna. I know what you mean about getting straight on.

I always found my horse was scarier to lunge than ride when full of energy as he was today LOL.

I'm sure you will be fine. Please let us know how it goes and ENJOY!

:dance::dance: He was a super star! Couldnt believe its so long since hes had a rider on board, was a bit green on some things that I know he knows.....but so calm and obedient. didnt do a lot more than walking and short bursts of trotting, he is (Im ashamed to say!:frown:) very overweight, so shall have to work him up slowly. TBH - think that might well have been a lot to do with how good he was, hes just so damned unfit that I think it will a week or two until he starts striding out more.

Shant complain at him though - he was so good that I wondered why on earth Im selling him...but them reminded myself just how forward going he is and how much he enjoys real work once hes fit!:biggrin:

Finished the day with a lovely hack out on Dolly, she is getting much more forward going now she knows where we are going, much kinder on my leg muscles! I love my horses!:wub:

:dance::dance: He was a super star! Couldnt believe its so long since hes had a rider on board, was a bit green on some things that I know he knows.....but so calm and obedient. didnt do a lot more than walking and short bursts of trotting, he is (Im ashamed to say!:frown:) very overweight, so shall have to work him up slowly. TBH - think that might well have been a lot to do with how good he was, hes just so damned unfit that I think it will a week or two until he starts striding out more.

Shant complain at him though - he was so good that I wondered why on earth Im selling him...but them reminded myself just how forward going he is and how much he enjoys real work once hes fit!:biggrin:

Finished the day with a lovely hack out on Dolly, she is getting much more forward going now she knows where we are going, much kinder on my leg muscles! I love my horses!:wub:

What a good boy JJ is!
Sounds like you had a lovely day :smile:

Glad to hear it went well, had similar situation with my boy today - first ride in months - nerve racking but worth it!
Am really happy to hear that Dolly is proving her weight in gold as well.

Well done, we have started again after 5 months. To be honest, sometimes I think they really benefit from a break. Nerve racking though isn't it!!!

newrider.com