Guinea Pig owners

BindyB

One day...
Mar 13, 2009
I've been pondering getting a proper bale of hay for my new piggies, rather than paying as much for a little bale from Pets at Home that's about the size of one leaf, as I'd pay for a real bale.

Just wondered if 'horse hay' would be okay for the piggies tho? Do they do anything different to the small animal's hay?

Do any of you use horses' hay for your guinea pigs?

I feed my rabbits and guinea pig ordinary horse hay and have never had a problem.

It does have to be really exceptional quality though, it can't be dusty at all. My lot wont eat it if its not really good quality anyway though!

Cerys :)

Hi, I have 19 guinea pigs and 7 rabbits (have had more thou!!) and they have always been fed on horse hay, they used to have haylage as it came in the price of my livery and they loved it! All happy and healthy. :)

I buy a bale of hay from Mimi's farm for £3.50 and it lasts my guinea pigs well over a month. The bags I used to buy from my local pet shop which cost about £4 only used to last a week.

I've decided that small animal bedding sold in supermarkets/pet shops is one of life's great rip offs :mad::mad::p

That's good to hear! :)

On that note, what about shavings? Would a big horse sized bale be okay or do they do anything different to them for small animals?

Loving the idea of saving so much money, although not really sure where exactly I'm going to store these big bales in our modest sized terrace lol :D

I use big horse bales of shavings for all my pigs buns and gerbils!!! what with having so many it would cost me a fortune if i bought small animal bales.

I personally think that horse hay and big bale shavings are better quality than any small animal stuff.

I live in a terrace and have a plastic shed thing that i keep my shavings in, I keep the hay at the yard and bring home a couple of slabs every few days and put them in a black bin outside. :)

Everything for my guineas apart from their mix comes from the yard!

Hay, I cheat - when we have a hay delivery LOADS ends up on the floor. So it gets piled up into an empty feed bag and taken home for my girls :) everyone is happy as they don't have to clean it up and I get free hay!

Shavings, I buy a bale of Hunter for around £7 and it lasts me weeks and weeks and weeks. My local pet store were selling the exact same thing last week for...

£24!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek:

newrider.com