Guess who I had a little sit on.....

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Yes, the lovely Amber.
I was just doing some groundwork in tack and thought, 'I wonder'....

Discovered she has probably never seen a mounting block given her reaction to it. I persuaded her the mounting block didn't bite and practiced leaning over. Whenever my weight was on her back she'd move off.
Eventually she stood quietly at the block but would still walk off whenever there was weight on her back.

Does not seem to know how to stand for mounting from the ground either. She started to walk off as soon as I was airborne, as I stepped up in one stirrup! But she would come straight back to halt once I was in the saddle and asked her to halt, so I am sure it is not evasive but just uneducated. I guess she has just had people legged up as she walked off in the past. But I am sure we can sort that out.

Then I walked around and she felt very big striding and powerful. She felt great actually. Calm but very switched on. Strange as I felt she was quite switched off when I went to view, but maybe that was just me!!

Perfect - just a typical Irish horse - never had one here that I didn't have to train to stand at the mounting block - or even just to stand while you got on from the ground. I watched the local hunt master the other day - half on his horse with one foot in the stirrup as it trotted off across the yard. :D He made no attempt to stop it, just went with the rhythm and just swung himself up and over and off they went. :eek: There are a lot of extremely agile riders over here who just dont rate the standing still to get on stuff, just a waste of good riding time!:p Dolly stands like an old donkey now while I struggle up onto the mounting block and gradually get myself on board - boy oh boy is that a pleasant change from the early days with her! :D

Reactions: Trewsers and KP nut
Haha yes the Irish horses we had on the yard were all like that and I was told they don't bother about standing to be mounted in the Irish breaking yards, just a quick leg up or jump on by the jockey as they're moving. I'm sure you'll soon have her trained to stand for you. Glad you like her so far!

Reactions: KP nut
newrider.com