Guess the vet bill

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Sunday evening call out to a colic. Finadyne given, but no Buscopan as not needed. 14.1 Welsh cob so not a massive dose needed.

Hmm. Here I am not sure what the call-out for weekends would be, maybe a bit extra so I'd say £60 plus exam of £30 and meds £20. I am probably totally out there!

If it was late evening our vet would be about £175 I would think.....

I would say £100 for emergency call out. £150 for examination, £21 for drugs injected, £50 to inject the drugs and pay for the needle. Plus VAT so around £300.

I couldn't quite believe my luck, if it wasn't itemised I'd have questioned it - £85.83!!!! Examination £48.91, drugs £21.04, visit £15.88. She was with us quite a while too, though that was partly catching up as well as purely professional.

My vets have always had a call out fee that doesn't vary depending on when they're called, their argument being they'd far rather see a horse on a Sunday night and be able to treat it than have an owner wait for Monday morning and have to deal with a much sicker animal that may no longer be treatable. A few vets in the area have zone days, mine don't but with a low call out charge I prefer their approach.

Heck that’s cheap! I just looked up Jess last colic bill, the exam was £40.80 and she didn’t have drugs for the colic specifically but £27.60 injection fee and £9.12 for Bute (colic was a result of a bad asthma attack so needed pain meds rather than other), it was the £123.84 call out (Sunday 6pm) that was a big difference!

I'm very lucky with my vets, and they're a well regarded horse practice so it's not like low prices mean low skills.

Reactions: Jessey
That's very very good. When Mattie hurt his leg (on a Sunday) the Sunday call out fee was £50, and that's cheap for round here. I like your vets' approach.

I like your vets @carthorse
My last call out was £40 plus VAT and that was just a normal day, non emergency visit! Our vets are a huge equine hospital vets and while they are very good you certainly pay for their new facilities and new technology.

Our vets are a huge equine hospital vets and while they are very good you certainly pay for their new facilities and new technology.
Yep mine are the same, but TBH the other practices locally aren't that much cheaper and the service is definitely less and they refer to my current practice for anything big anyway.

I always estimate what I think is a realistic bill and then multiply it by 3 to get the real amount! My call out fee is higher because I am right on the edge of my vets inclusion zone. It takes them at least 45 mins to get to me.

Mine don't have a hospital, but with three local ones it isn't hard to get referred if needed, and having been with a practice that did have a hospital I prefer it this way because there the tendency was to refer for everything. Mine have mobile x-ray machines and ultrasound scanners so a lot of stuff can be done at home which I find less stressful for horse and owner - the hospital practice wanted to refer for anything more than a lameness trot up and if the horse dared look at it's tummy then a whole battery of hospital tests were needed!

The call out fee is something I really appreciate, I don't know any other practice that doesn't charge extra for out of hours or indeed as little as that except on zone days for routine work.

My call out fee here is$ 55.00
I think emergency about $90.00
They charge $148.00 an hr for services
Plus items used and meds.

They are satellite for Tufts Vet School.
Its got a huge hospital.

They can do a lot right in the Woodstock
facility but major surgery needs to happen at the school.

You did well on the call..
I would have thought about $200.00

When Danni ..the goat .. choked a few weeks ago it was $165.00

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com