Grrr major rant!

Sunshine-x

Jul 31, 2008
I am seriously angry.

As a general rule we do not have dogs on the yard. Our weekend groom brings her collie which is fine as he is good with horses and doesn't hurt my cats. I have 3 cats and 3 kittens. Or had.

Today one woman coming to the yard for a horse is there before me and has her dog loose running round. I said please keep a hold of your dog as I have kittens on the yard. Oh no no he won't hurt a cat don't worry. So anyway once she has gone and I go back up the yard half an hour later what do I find? A dead kitten on the floor. :cry: Oh and whats that? A second dead kitten. :cry: Bellys have been chewed out of them. :cry::cry:

Woman duly rang and told never to bring her dog on the yard or it will be shot. WHY do people ignore me?? The poor mother is running round the yard mewling at me, but I can't bring her kittens back can I? WHY are people so stupid. I am so upset and annoyed, I have cats to keep the rats away and yes they are friendly and I am attached to them, so to have two 5 week old kittens killed is gutting. I know they are only kittens and not a human, but why can't people listen to me when I say NO DOGS!! I am going to get a sign made to put on the gate and if a dog steps foot in the yard without permission I am going to lose it completely. :timebomb::timebomb:

Why can people not just leave their skanky smelly mutts in the car or at home?!!!! :timebomb:

Not a happy sunshine...

I am not surprised you are cross. I would be livid.

Personally, the dogs that are on the yard that belong to the YO annoy me. Crapping and peeing everywhere - you have to set up barriers so they can't get into your hay and straw of they use that as a toilet as well.

A fellow livery brought her dogs to the yard - they were just as much of a nuisance, belting around, causing the horses to gallop about, crapping everywhere ..............

Not nearly so bad as killing the kittens - poor mummy cat.

Personally I think dogs on a yard are a nuisance - except to the people who own them!!!

Did you personally see the dog killing the kittens? If you didnt then i wouldnt assume it was her dog. My dog wouldnt hurt a cat as he lived with two and used to carry them around the house (gundog) and the cats let him.

If she didnt know the dog wasnt supposed to be there then how can you blame her, some yards dont mind dogs maybe hers doesnt. Im not excusing her but if it were my dog you were slandering all over the internet to having killed your kittens I wouldnt be very happy. A fox could have got them for all you know. Again unless you witnessed it then really you will never know.

Poor mummy cat and surviving kitten, regardless of who was to blame so sad :cry: RIP little ones :(

She knew the dog wasn't meant to be there. :bomb:

Okay, if she knew that she shouldnt have brought it. That was her stupidity but I still wouldnt be blaming the dog for killing the kittens without seeing it do it. Im sure you would have noticed the amount of blood it would have had on its face if it did what you say it did, its owner certainly would have when she put it back in the car when you told her to.

Its a crying shame this has happened to your little family :( I was raging when someone shot my cat.

Okay, if she knew that she shouldnt have brought it. That was her stupidity but I still wouldnt be blaming the dog for killing the kittens without seeing it do it. Im sure you would have noticed the amount of blood it would have had on its face if it did what you say it did, its owner certainly would have when she put it back in the car when you told her to.

Its a crying shame this has happened to your little family :( I was raging when someone shot my cat.

Sorry I didn't explain too well in my anger, understand what you're saying, but as soon as she got the call she knew exactly what was going to be said as she 'wondered if he had been chasing rabbits as he was a bit messy' :poop:

It's your yard, surely it is rude to assume it is OK to take a dog on a yard with out asking first, let along let it off the lead.

My I have 3 dogs they do not go to the yard at all, our yard has a no dogs policy just wish it had a no children one too.

Anyway gutted about your kittens poor mummy. :furious:

It's the height of rudeness to let your dog out on someone else's property when you know it's not allowed! :eek:

I don't tolerate dogs around horses, full stop. Not since my friend's horse broke her leg when the yard dogs 'packed up' and played chase around the field.

I don't tolerate dogs who chase cats, full stop. We had a dog I caught more than once trying to attack a cat, luckily we saw what was happening and managed to grab the cat. That dog was rehomed.

I detest dogs running around on yards almost as much as I detest small children running around unsupervised on yards - it's not safe.

Someone letting their dog run around on my farm, which then stood and frantically barked at one of my rescue rabbits and tormented it up and down the pen on the other side of the wire, caused it to abort (she was pregnant when she arrived) and drop dead!! I told the person they were NEVER to bring their dog to the farm again!

So sorry about the poor kittens, and the poor mum cat. :( :( Kx

Nothing useful to add - just very sorry for Mrs Kitty losing her babies. I have mixed views on dogs on yards, in past experience not all are bad - some are well behaved and that's fine. Some sh*t in your stable and in the hay pile if not watched and that infuriates me!
Very sorry for you and can see why you are cross.

How devastating. That's so terrible, poor kitty and poor you. I'd be livid too. I don't bring my dog onto the yard as she'd murder the chickens - they're mainly my chickens and I don't want them dead! Also, my horse is scared of dogs. People often think their dogs are well-behaved but they do tend to be a lot more tolerant than non dog-owners - it's a bit like parents with their kids, they often don't realise that just because they think their pet/child is adorable, they can't assume everyone else does too! And I speak as both a parent and dog owner!

I'm not pro yards having a no kids policy - I couldn't have a horse if that was the case! My kids help me muck out and aren't allowed to run riot, plus the horses are all turned out at this time of year. Besides, it's just me and the YO most of the time as the other horses are on part livery. I think it's good for kids to help and learn how to look after animals - I'd much rather that than they sit indoors playing computer games.

Last edited:
Poor little kittens, how horrific for you as well. I dont believe any dogs should be allowed on a yard even if there aren't any cats on site. Just too much of a nuisance and safety risk really.

I no longer have cats unfortunately, as my dogs will chase and kill them when they are on our property. I would never, ever take them on anyone's yard regardless of the fact there might be cats there, just not the thing to do IMO.

By the description of the dead kittens sounds like a typical injury inflicted on a kitten by a dog.

Poor little things.

We are really pleased the dog club are no longer using our indoor school for their club meetings, due to the godawful behaviour of the dogs owned by the person doing the triaining. Frances terrier got beaten up, so did my Lab and my 6 month cillie puppy. I wish Frances' cat had put in an apperance, he's a bastard! No dogs chase him and come away unbloodied!

1. Your yard and if have that rule then dog should not have been there :furious:

2. As she knew and kittens killed and dog covered in blood so obviously the culprit I dont think I could be so calm and let her away with "looked a bit messy" :timebomb:

3. Those poor babies and poor mummy. I am gutted for you and them :cry:

Hugs xx

I would make sure there is a strict enforcement of the yard rules, no exceptions

Poor little things, hopefully it was quick, the dog may of seen the kittens as rats given their size. I would of kept any strange dog away and told her to keep the dog on a leash or in the car. If she was aware of the rules I hope shes feeling bloody guilty. My dogs have grown up with cats but will chase a strange one and I wouldnt trust them near tiny kittens they didnt know... they are dogs after all !

That's really dreadful Sunshine, never mind the dog, the women would not be welcome back either, she must surely now her dogs temperament with these things, its quite unbelievable.

Don't know what else to say, like you said you can not bring them back.

I don't blame the dog, I blame the owner, if she had any doubts what so ever the dog should not have been there.

In addition to this I would never take my dog to another yard and let it roam unattended, its courtesy, for one thing and otherwise quite frankly asking for trouble, however well you may think you now your dog.

Absolutely gutted for you Sunshine :( that is absolutely dreadful and to think that she knowingly broke the rules and then was so cool when you told her what the dog had done to the kittens. Actually making my blood boil just thinking about it.

Really hope mama cat is ok :(

newrider.com