grr- mud fever

stressy

Apr 22, 2009
sunderland
just discovered today my horse hase mud fever! last year at different yard she was up to her belly in mud no probs, there must be somehting in the soil at current yard as lots of horses have it. is it best to remove the scabs or leave them?

May not be practical for you, I don't know you situation but, when ever my boy gets it I give him a good scrub down with the Net-tex Muddy Marvel Kit and stable for a bit.

They do a full kit which you can buy seperately or as a started pack. I wash away all mud with a hose, then a bucket of warm water. Then I apply the 'de-scab' cream which you leave for 5-10 mniutes. Wash this off with warm water again taking most of the scabs with you. I then towel dry the legs as much as possible and apply the 'disinfectant rinse' which you leave on to do it's job. (You would think it would sting but my wussy TB doesn't take a bit of notice at that part).

Because Ben's legs swell awful when he gets it, I tend to stable and bandage for a few days. A few days in the dry the scabs heal up and starts getting back to normal. Then when I turn out I apply the 'barrier cream' which is amazingly thick and contains healing 'things' in like tea tree (I think). The mud slides off this if you get it on right. I only have to apply twice a week or so. At weekends I'll do a thorough wash off, drying of the legs and start from scratch with the cream.

You'll countless stories and peoples opinions from here and the yard and it's always hard to know which one to do for the best. After 4 winters with Ben, this is what works for us. I was reccommended the Muddy Marvel kit by YO and now pass that on. You can get it at most shops I think, I know Robinsons sell it and Scats if there's one near you.

I try and get most of the scabs off, but sometimes it can get sore (understandably) so it may take a couple of days to do it completely, or a leg a night etc.

newrider.com