Grooming a moulting face

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
OK, at this time of year Ziggy LOOOOOOVES grooming because he is so moulty and itchy.

His face is hard to do. He loves me to rub it really really hard with my hands, which gets out loads of little dry hairs especially from under his forelock, but I wondered what scratchy hair-removing devices you have tried on faces? My pumice block works ok but I am hoping for the face equivalent of a shedding blade!

Havent tried it but how about a dog sized furminator? I use a face brush, Galaxy seems to enjoy it, it is one of those two coloured ones I can't remember the make. It's quite stiff but not sharp and a good size being small.

I use a little facebrush on Ben, but find I get more out with my fingers. He loves it and I'm often there for a good 15 minutes just doing his face. I'm always covered in white hairs from his blaze after.

I have used a dog shedding blade, less harsh. She loves it by the ears and under forelock.
Also does in between legs and belly. Though she really just likes my fingers under her direction and with her consent. :biggrin:

I used to use a rubber curry comb on my old pony when he was moulting and he loved it. I also had a smaller version...a purple thing with rubber spines...which I could use on hard to do bits like his face. He loved it!!

It was a bit like a zoom groom...if you've seen one of those before :smile:

I just got him one of the horsey zoom grooms, so far satisfaction is very high.

He likes fingers better though. But I don't think I have ever had such dirty hands...

OR.....

You could order a Scratch Patch from Robinsons and let him do the work for you! :biggrin:

Sweetpea gave up on me grooming her and found a handy red brick wall to use!!

IMG-20120408-00703.jpg

I think it matches her poo stain rather well! :giggle:

newrider.com