grey horse - what colour jacket???

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazystevie

Well hello :D
May 9, 2004
Nottingham
I need a hacking jacket for riding Byron. He is being shown as a riding horse.

I'm considering this browband
http://home.btconnect.com/chartsutton/browbands/velvet-detail/hpvel18st-more.htm

I have beige jods, black long boots, navy hat with leather harness, brown show cane, brown leather girth, plain brown bridle.

What colour hacking jacket should I be considering.

We're mainly going to be doing dressage and hopefully eventing, but to get him used to shows we're starting off doing a bit of showing. So I don;t want to spend loads on a hacking jacket. Any ideas?

BTW Byron is very light fleabitten grey, with chestnut flecks - there's a piccy of him in my sig.

Blue tweed will match your hat. I had a flea bitten grey and had exactly the same colour hat, tack, etc as you, but had canary jods. No offence but the browband is minging. Seriously no offence. During the summer I event, I ain't never seen a horse with a browband like that - except in 10 years and under tack and turn out. Don't be so mean to your horse, all the others will laugh at him!

blue tweed is incorrect in the showring. i know, im haveing to get rid of mine!

a green or brown tweed is correct, i think green tweeds look brilliant on greys and i quite like the browband but for a riding horse shouldnt be so bling! canary jods would look better.

abi dont know where your showing, but all hacks and riding horses wear browbands! as do all showponies includeing ones upto 15.2 and ISRT's

RockleyRHHdFeb.jpg

one large riding horse at a county show the above horse is 16.2

NewtonMareTrtFeb.jpg

and anouther
EdwardsLittleMissDynamite.jpg

PayneMoondanceTrt.jpg

STCServicesKatie.jpg

all of them over 15hh and doing well at county level

If you read my post you would have realised I said eventing.

and in the first post the poster was asking about showing her horse as a show riding horse! this requires browband and green/brown tweed

If you read my post you would have noticed I said eventing.

crazystevie said:
We're mainly going to be doing dressage and hopefully eventing, but to get him used to shows we're starting off doing a bit of showing. So I don;t want to spend loads on a hacking jacket. Any ideas?

back to the original posters question. for the browband on a riding horse you want to avoid the diamantes, and because he is grey you should avoid creams and white.
the original browband was nice and would be good if it were minus the diamante on the browband itself. they are fine on the rosette part of it

yes but she is also showing and since a green tweed is correct in both and a blue tweed is incorrect in the show ring it makes sense to buy a gree/brown one.
also the browband is required in showing riding types and can be removed for eventing. The question was about showing not eventing

I think you need to read the original post again.

Wittoncastle2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
crazystevie said:
I need a hacking jacket for riding Byron. He is being shown as a riding horse.

thus she says she wants advice for the showing side of it not the eventing!

oh and can you reduce the size of that pic it is huge and my computer wont load it up at that size

No, at this size you can see how fantastic my flea bitten grey looks, in a DAIMANTE browband and WHITE saddle cloth while EVENTING at Witton Catle.

at that size all i see is a red box with a red cross in it no horse at all my computer has a limit on its picture size and yours is well over it! so it wont display it.
diamontes are fine for eventing but not for the showring, they are 2 different worlds!
the lady in the first post was asking about turnout for a SHOW ring not eventing. Im sure your turnout for evening is correct however it is not for the SHOW ring

Last edited by a moderator:
the origional post says that crazystevie wants some advice on a browband and jacket for Riding Horse classes, which is exactly what kanuma was giving. He didn't seem to be asking for advice on what to wear for eventing.

Crazystevie, it would be great if you could clarify what you are wanting to know so we can give you the best advice.

I don't know how to reduce the size of the photo, but trust me - we look mint. Is crazy Steveie a girl? And is he/she planning on going affiliated showing? I have won several first places in ridden hunter classes at local shows - all in my lovely blue tweed jacket and daimante browband. So neh.

crazie steve says she wants to do riding horse classes which will require a ribbon browband.
I compete at county level showing and to be honest even at my local riding club show if you took a riding horse into the ring incorrectly turndout you wouldnt get a second glance. If you took a hunter in with a ribbon browband the judge would be most unimpressed, but unlikely to say anything unless directly asked

ive been trying to suss out browbands and such for riding horse classes lately.
im showing my girl as a riding horse, but shes chesnnut, so slightly different.
ive looked at alot of pictures and blue and gren look very nice on greys for browbands. i think as hes quite a light grey a brown jacket may look better, green maybe if he was darker.
im staying away from blue and grey tweeds for showing as they dont look as professional, bit tacky imo.

welldone no angel. ive got to give up my beloved blue tweed as it looks so unprofessional (and its now too big)! i am however going to splurge on a tailor made green tweed instead and keep the blue one for rainy muddy days so i dont get my new jacket muddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
newrider.com