Great hack today

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Went out with one of the liveries and we revisited a track we'd done a few weeks go. This time we knew where we were going and so did the boys, with Little Un in particular anticipating the big stubble field quite a way before we got to it going out and coming back. He was also dropping some hints about a couple of other fields, making us both laugh at him. He had to content himself with the stubble field though - at least he could do it going out and coming home - and it turns out that despite other peoples doom mongering about cantering those two together they actually play very nicely together since if K does eventually get past he stops if the other horse won't race and Little Un knows racing isn't allowed. And both of them are a bit hot headed and so neither of them have any effect on each other.

There's only a bit of roadwork to the permissive path that joins the bridleway and then it's all tracks and fields with glorious views after an initial long and fairly steep climb. We could see for miles and the autumn colours were perfect. It was just over an hour and a half, with most of it done at Little Un's walk pace and a few snacks for K to catch up - K is a big believer in social distancing and will keep Little Un's pace pretty well as long as he's allowed to do it about five or six horse lengths behind
:D
. Now if the ride could just do away with killer pigeons and assassin pheasants it would be perfect!

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
That sounds fabulous carthorse. It’s funny isn’t it how they are with other horses, Belle is usually used as a nanny horse to those fizzier or younger than her as for the most part she has a wonderfully calming effect on other neds, but just occasionally we’ll go out with one particular gelding and they wind each other up something awful.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Went out with one of the liveries and we revisited a track we'd done a few weeks go. This time we knew where we were going and so did the boys, with Little Un in particular anticipating the big stubble field quite a way before we got to it going out and coming back. He was also dropping some hints about a couple of other fields, making us both laugh at him. He had to content himself with the stubble field though - at least he could do it going out and coming home - and it turns out that despite other peoples doom mongering about cantering those two together they actually play very nicely together since if K does eventually get past he stops if the other horse won't race and Little Un knows racing isn't allowed. And both of them are a bit hot headed and so neither of them have any effect on each other.

There's only a bit of roadwork to the permissive path that joins the bridleway and then it's all tracks and fields with glorious views after an initial long and fairly steep climb. We could see for miles and the autumn colours were perfect. It was just over an hour and a half, with most of it done at Little Un's walk pace and a few snacks for K to catch up - K is a big believer in social distancing and will keep Little Un's pace pretty well as long as he's allowed to do it about five or six horse lengths behind
:D
. Now if the ride could just do away with killer pigeons and assassin pheasants it would be perfect!
Sounds perfect!

Reactions: carthorse

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
It's funny you can read the hints as well. I get where does that road go hints.
One person I can ride with they bounce of each other.

No stubble fields here.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Oh his hints aren't subtle, or at least I don't think so. But he's terribly polite, even in the stubble field he won't go until he's told and will pull up even if the other won't - he just squeaks and chunters and throws a front leg until he can go!

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Oh his hints aren't subtle, or at least I don't think so. But he's terribly polite, even in the stubble field he won't go until he's told and will pull up even if the other won't - he just squeaks and chunters and throws a front leg until he can go!
sounds like Buddy, he is very good generally

Reactions: Huggy

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I was in trouble today, she didn't sleep a wink all night. Electric tape blew out of the posts and over her spot. I didn't tie up properly, it was still in and zapping the worms.
No that's not subtle, I know when I am being told off.

• Wow
Reactions: Trewsers

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I don't think he gets subtle in any part of his life, he's the one doing a war dance and screaming if he wants to be out, guarding the gate if he wants to be in, fidgeting because standing is boring , and throwing a hissy fit if I dare talk to someone rather than be with him. You'd have to be blinds, deaf and stupid to miss his hints ?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I don't think he gets subtle in any part of his life, he's the one doing a war dance and screaming if he wants to be out, guarding the gate if he wants to be in, fidgeting because standing is boring , and throwing a hissy fit if I dare talk to someone rather than be with him. You'd have to be blinds, deaf and stupid to miss his hints ?
She's changed her mind about the neighbour's, but that's only for this week ;)

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire

Sounds so Welsh lol.

Two Welshies turned out together on our yard. I went past their paddock the other day and the young one was carrying a huge branch in his mouth, the older one was trying to take it off him. They turned into statues when they saw me (presumably I couldn't see them if they didn't move anything except their eyes) then resumed play when my back was turned . The water bucket was low, went to turn the hose on and by the time I'd got back they'd taken it out of it's huge tyre, placed it on the ground and put a feed trug inside it. Always busy.

Glad you had such a fab ride, I feel really proud of your pony just reading about it ?

• Love
Reactions: carthorse and Huggy

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
@Bodshi they really re something else, aren't they? They always have to be doing something, and if there's mischief going on they're usually in the middle of it :)

He really is the ultimate fun hack and for all his posturing and looking hot he's probably the safest horse or pony I've ever hacked. He can be allowed to express himself (aka be a Welsh tart) because I absolutely know that if there's any sort of problem he will be rock solid and sane.

Reactions: Bodshi