Greasy legs

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Jess gets odd greasy legs when she sheds, I thought we'd got it all when I bathed her legs a few weeks ago but the last few days it built up again (possibly related to increasing her Prascend 5 days ago), have you ever seen anything like this?
Theres no scabs or open wounds, its just like the grease holds the fur in then it comes out in clumps.

Yes, Mattie's does exactly the same. Jess seems to have a close fine coat like his.

You can groom them out, and a wash helps, but it doesn't seem to cause problems once the new coat comes through.

Reactions: Jessey
I've never seen that, apart from when Jack had an allergic reaction (cause unknown) and came out in hives. After the hives subsided his fur came out in clumps like that, and he ended up looking like a threadbare teddy in places. It's happened on his legs when he's had mites too, but I've never seen it like that!

My wee oldie has exactly the same, i also thought I had got it all out but it is back again..no sores or anything just the exact same as Jess..

Oily seborrhea. It comes from overactive sebaceous glands producing excessive amounts of sebum. Thin-skinned breeds like Thoroughbreds and Arabs are particularly prone to it (incidentally Jess and Mattie are both Arabs aren't they? Or am I making that up?). It's usually secondary to systemic diseases and other health issues so her PPID may be a factor.
Wash with a drying shampoo, I'd go for a coal tar shampoo... But try to avoid picking it off in clumps like in the video, unless you want her to get a bacterial or fungal infection in there!

Jess is quarter horse x Paint/tb, but never grows much coat :)
Good to have a name for it, I can have a read up on it now :) she's certainly suffered more the last few years with it so I wondered if it had any link to the ppid.

Very interesting, this also explains her odd reactions to sweat if I don't wash it off well enough, least I know what it all is now.

newrider.com