Grazing muzzles - advice

Bebe

Aug 15, 2001
S.Yorkshire
Hi

I know this has been done before but it's coming up to that time of year again!

The recent rain has brought on our spring growth and I'm a bit concerned for Bebe. She has come through the winter looking fantastic (in previous years I've had to put weight on her round about now) and doesn't have much leeway for gaining on the spring and summer growth (she's showing as 567kgs on the weigh tape, 580 is the max she can get before I start to panic, she didn't reach this until we went on the lush summer grazing last year).

She won't tolerate being stabled overnight at this time of year (and I wouldn't want to do that anyway). She will stand in for a few hours in the evening but this ties in with the only time I have to ride, and she does need to be exercised. I have already reduced her feed down to 1 handful of Dengie Good Doer and 1 handful of pasture nuts (she likes the texture!) along with her cider vinegar and vitamin supplement. She gets this once daily and has a few carrots for breakfast and a couple in her tea.

I am thinking that maybe a grazing muzzle is the only answer but have no experience of them. I'm not sure whether Bebe would tolerate one without becoming depressed - is it possible to try it for a while and then return it if it's not working after a week or so (in same condition as it arrived) or are they something where you don't get the option to return or exchange them? What brands are available and how good are they? Also, what size would I need for a partbred Cleveland Bay that is currently in an o/s bridle (the browband is full size)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Amanda

Oh the age old problem of our lush grass and keeping weight under control.

Charlie is in his 2nd year of wearing his muzzle at this time of year and well into May and June to keep his weight under control.

After trying a number of options, including that plastic bucket thing which is awful and still hangs in our tack rrom as a reminder of its complete waste of money, we also tried the frazing guard type which attaches itself to a head collar and covers the mouth area, but Charlie soon got round this by pushes it off his mouth so he could eat just the same.

So we finally tracked down a muzzle by equine friends which incorporates its own head collar type system and this works extremely well and he has only got it off twice in 2 years which is not bad. It took a while for him to be comfortable with it as a greedy cob loves to eat and he knows that this will prevent him being such a pig. But he gets his special treats for having the muzzle on which he likes very much. I can now walk up to him in the field and put the muzzle on him there without having to catch him, he's such a good boy and will even let me put it on first thing in the morning when he's still lying down inthe field without him getting up.

His weight this year is now fully under control and he is looking well, but not fat anymore, I keep him at about 460kg, for a 15.1 hh cob which we feel is a good weight.

Following advices from Robert Eustace, Charlie actually wears his muzzle during the day and off at night as the grass is at it best early morning and late afternoon so its best to protect him at these times.

I am sure Bebe will be a little depressed at first, but you must persevere as it is in her best interests to have the muzzle on so she can be with her friends for 24/7 then which will make her happier.

N.B. her pair bond may try and get the mask off, as did Zak with Charlie, but they soon learn to accept it and leave it well alone.

Good luck in keeping her slim for this year.

Thanks for the advice Caroline, I think I'll go ahead and order a Best Friend, I noticed Olney Saddlery now sell them. Do you think that the deluxe version with the attached headcollar is safe for turnout in a field with lots of hedges and trees, or do you think I'd be better off using a fieldsafe headcollar with the standard version? I do have a nylon headcollar with a quick release (fieldsafe) noseband and I could attach a flyfree link to the headpiece to make it doubly safe.

It's hard to keep track of Bebe's weight without a weightape as she puts weight on everywhere so never gets the huge belly that alerts most people to their horse being overweight. At 560ish kgs she looks very well, but doesn't need to look any better (rounder!). I can only feel her ribs if I press on very hard, which is a bit worrying but she doesn't have a large crest or gutter along her back. I just feel I need to catch it before it becomes a problem.

I noticed this morning that the little pony that wears a Greenguard mask (she has it on 24.7 for a few days, then off for a bit, then back on) looks much happier with it on now than she did when she first started wearing it last year, she was really upset about it too so it's nice to see that they do get used to them.

Bebe its a personal preference but I would go for the deluxe version, as this is the one mainly recommended and used in the US and we have had no problems our fields are surrounded by trees and hedges. I presume like most horses she likes grass rathr than hedges to eat, so it is unlikely she'll get herself in a muddle with a hedge.

With the deluxe version, they can actually get it off over their ears it they try very hard, so if she got caught up then I am sure this would come off OK. But from our experience with Charlie who is very young, inquisative and very cheeky, wo

My other worry would be with the separate head collar and muzzle route, would be first you have to put the head collar on then the muzzle, which at first she will not like. And I would be concerned with her associating a head collar with having the muzzle on, which may lead to problems in catching her and using a normal head collar for every day useage.

She prefers grass but can often be found in the hedges and doing a giraffe impression trying to get at leaves.

I hadn't thought about her associating the headcollar with being muzzled if I put them on separately, it's a good point.

Thanks
Amanda

Just an aside - if you use something like the Greenguard you do need a well-fitting headcollar that has a properly supported noseband. If you don't, the muzzle will pull the headcollar out of shape, which means the muzzle will be easier for the horse to displace, and can also lead to rubbing.

There's a pony on the yard that wears a greenguard and hasn't figured out how to get around it. I highly suspect Bebe would find a way though, that was the first thing that a friend said when I mentioned it "Bebe would have that off in seconds"!

I think I'll give Olney Saddlery and/or Exscelle a ring in the next week or so and put an order in for the Best Friend Deluxe. I think I may get away without using a muzzle for the moment but she will have to wear one when we go down to the summer grazing, it's looking incredibly long and green and even though hay will be taken off it before the horses go on, it was still 4-6" long last year (and it had had cows grazing on it too).

Thanks for the help
Amanda

Equitating,

I think that it was you that managed to sort us out last year when we ended up with one of the old design muzzles, wasn't it?

I'm pleased to say that the new design one is now a year old and doesn't even show signs of significant wear yet - I'm sure that it will last for many years to come.

He's in a prettty bare paddock at present, so e doens't have it one, but...I'm going down this minute to rotate the paddocks and have the muzzle here ready! :D (this system doesn't have a smily for "evil grin", does it?!:))

Thanks!

newrider.com