grass stains!

Apr 24, 2001
Visit site
2 threads in 1 day - very impressive! ;) anyway, this should be on the horse care forum but....... does anyone have any tips for getting grass stains off a white pony? she will be turned out and only brought in on the moring of the show and she always manages to get really bad grass stains on her hocks (i dont want to know how.....!) i dont really want to wash her legs but i suppose i could kind of wipe them down if you get me! anyway basically im just looking for any methods or products that will work, and that are not too expensive! thanx! :)

Baby Wipes

My friend has a dapple grey pony that always gets stable stains right before a show so we clean him off with baby wipes. It's great, they're cheap and they work. Another solution is; you said it was on his hocks right? Well you could try wrapping his hocks in polos **WARNING** if you do this you must tape them SECURELY. If you don't then the pony might get the polos off and get wraped in them. That can be dangerous.

Good Luck;)

You could try putting a thin layer of vaseline on her hocks before you let her out, it may stop the stains from getting too deep. They may shampoo out lightly the next morning.

if you use vaseline by sure to take some sugar with you, we have used vaseline on mane and tail mixed with a baby cream for sweet itch, and although it stop the mare rubbing, it was a pain to wash out, someone told us to use sugar and water, we did and it worked, note sure if the same will apply to the hocks.

happy showing.

Well, it's been a long time since I've groomed a grey pony (thank goodness!), but I remember using a cactus mit on the green bits (there were lots of them!) and this worked quite well. I think you can also get coat whitening products which are formulated to remove grass stains.

Fiona.

YEAH!

I no how, seeing as i have a white pone: you can but something called a BLOCK which is this rough dark grey thing, cuboid in sahpe. You rub this over the coat and it works a dream, or you can just use a dandy brush, but that can hurt tehm.
Em:cool:

to get vsaelien of fyou just need to use a soapy substance..i use to ride a pinto and i use to wash him quick with shampoo with t balm in it. I wouldnt wash all of it...just the parts that were stained and it worked well enough..there are quite a few products on the horsey market for grey horses...

has anybody ever used 'dung away' ? its in the robinsons catalogue - and says its good for spot cleaning, just wondered how effective it was before dishing out £5 :D with £8000 of vet debts £5 means a lot to me! :eek:

does anybody know of any really effective stable stain and grass stain removers? i could maybe wash down her legs but i cant bath the whole horse so im more after spot cleaners, ive tried all sorts of brushes etc, and they wont budge, ive got a show on sunday and i really need he to look white (er!) also what about mares yellow tails? how can i get it looking a bit better?!?!? thanx! :D

when i rode a pinto i use to spot wash him...wet the area that was dirty and just wash that spot and then rinse...i havent tried dung away...my horse use to have a really yellow tail but i think the owner battled it by washing it alot! i think my horse gets a mane and tail wash once every week or fortnight.
the only thing i can think of is if you give her a jolly good bath and then put a lightweight rug on her so she cant get dirty.
a brush wont work believe me...just spot wash her!!!
i someone on this board alos has a grey hrose and she mentioned some tips for keeping them clean but i cant rmember where :(

i think its the same make as my saddle soap spray i'll go hunt it out now, my instructer works in the local tack shop so ill ask her tomorrow if she know of any that are any good

its closer than i thought, its carr&day&martin, i've only used it for grass stains on socks an dirty blazes but it makes then really white.
they also do mane and tail condisioner

newrider.com