grass sickness

Haffi H

Apr 9, 2009
Hello
I know somone who has just lost her horse through grass sickness. I just wondered what experiences others had.
Haffi H

my masha had it in 1994 , she did survive though was like a skeleton within days , took 6 months for her to start improving , and nearly a year to be totally back to normal .
though in 2006 she died , the pm sid it was the most likely that she'd got it back

Lost my mare to it in November 2003, from a lovely pony to a skeleton in 24 hours. Horrendous to see.
I have a friend whose horse developed it and, with months of intensive care, has since been broken to ride and is doing well.
There are two types, chronic where the animal can survive, or acute, where death comes painfully but fairly quickly.

We lost our mare Cleo in May 2005 to grass Sickness. Thankfully she went quick. Awful Awful thing to happen to anyone.

there are THREE forms of the disease, acute subacute and chronic. The only horses that stand any chance of survival are those that contract chronic grass sickness as the symptoms come on much more slowly and are a lot less severe. I lost my beloved first pony to grass sickness in 2006, she contracted the acute form of the disease. We made the choice to put her to sleep and not let her suffer any further. 2pm in the afternoon she first showed symptoms and we had her PTS at about 6pm. The symptoms come on that fast. The best website for info is here, a wonderful charity who don't get nearly enough recognition http://www.grasssickness.org.uk/ there was a parade at Blair horse trials a few years back of horses that survived grass sickness (as EGSF was their charity that year), was too painful to watch as it was amazing what the horses had overcome but part of me was screaming that it wasn't fair my darling pony hadn't survived. terrible, terrible disease :(

I lost a pony to it 6 years ago. He only made it for 3 days and then collapsed and I had him pts as he lay there with his head on my lap. Still miss him and will never put horses on the field he was in when he had it. It is a boggy field but as they still dont know the cause I dont want to loose another one to it. It was a horrible few days trying to get him to eat,drink, poo etc and he had the most horrible brown liquid that gushed from his nose. My darling Murphy RIP.

Horrible thing grass sickness, lost a pony to it a few years back. Pony showed first symptons about 5pm and was put to sleep at midnight. Hope I never have to go through that again

newrider.com