Grackle, flash or drop noseband

learningcurve

May 25, 2008
Hi, would like some views on these nosebands please.

My daughter has a five/six year old pony who crosses his jaw, RI has suggested flash which has been used a few times but I am not keen on flash.

Most of the time he is fine in caveson but if in a situation he finds exciting or stressfull the jaw crossing can make him difficult to handle. He also crosses jaw sometimes during her lessons if doing exercises he finds difficult.

He is in a loose ring french link.

Thanks.

As soon as you say crossing of the jaw people will say Grackle, however i really don't like nosebands that interfere and to have a grackle to work you have to have the top section tight which ends up squashing the cheeks into the molars of the jaw, Cant be comfy for the horse! the same goes with a flash where you have to have the cavesson tight to support the flash if fitted correctly, which again will squash the cheeks along the edges of the molars. Can you imagine if those teeth were even the slightest bit sharp how much that would hurt?

I therefore would say drop noseband as that doesn't put the pressure on the molars and does the same job as a flash if not better. People only really ***-like them because they give the horse a longer looking face but i think they are the nicest out of the choices of nosebands and will prevent your pony from opening his mouth fully to cross his jaw

hope that helps!

I had the same problem and I was advised to use a drop noseband and it does seem to be working well. (I will have a furtle and see if i can find the thread I started)

I am using a grakle at the moment on youngster that crosses his jaw and its been great although i admit i dont have it as tight as it maybe should be,

Thanks Mu0ljk, my daughters pony zebedee sounds quite like your Dylan as he twists his head to the side as well. Drop it is then.

newrider.com