Got a pony to play with....

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I love Ben to bits and he will always be my number one, but for a while I have been thinking how lovely it would be to have a pony to play with. Not to ride (as I am too heavy) but to take to in-hand shows and generally just fuss over.

So yesterday my RI appeared at the yard with the most gorgeous newforest pony that I have ever seen. He is 5 years old and very nervous, completely unsuitable for the riding school where she works. She has fallen for him (easy to see why) and has taken him to our yard for him to chill out in a quiet environment and to get him used to being handled.

He is pretty wild apparently, will not let his feet be picked up, panics when he is touched and is a nightmare to catch. He just needs some time and gentle handling to get him used to humans. I don't know his history but it wouldn't surprise me if he was taken directly from the forest.

My RI is happy for me to help gain his trust, to handle him, eventually give his lovely mane and tail a wash, take him for in-hand walks and hopefully improve his catching. He is going to be turned out with Ben, maybe in a field of just two of them together or maybe with their herd of 5. I'm really looking forward to spending some time with him and hopefully he will gain trust in me. He is a lovely, lovely pony and I hope that we can get him to enjoy being around humans so he will eventually go on to be someones dream pony. He has been backed but is far from a novice ride (so my kids will never sit on him), but just needs some love and attention. Good job my youngest is going to school in September. On my non working day I can see myself being at the yard from school drop off to pick up!

Reactions: Rubic
Oh how lovely! That sounds just wonderful. Please send us a picture, if you have a big enough telephoto lens!

How will be get to you if he can't be caught?

He is already here - arrived on Friday but is stabled at the moment. His owner is going to get a grazing muzzle for him so he cannot eat too much if he won't come in (he is on the 'round' side at the moment).. I'm not sure how bad his catching is. Only a few people can catch my horse and with him it really is a trust thing. Ben is very fussy about who he likes and who he doesn't. I am hoping that if I spend enough time with this pony then he will let me near him but we will see.

And this is how it starts.... one becomes two.... two becomes three.... ;)

Sneaky piccy of said beautiful pony when you can, please.....?

newrider.com