Got a photo of Tango with no shoe or wedges on!

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Just the one mind - sorry! I didn't really want to tell my farrier why I wanted a picture of his foot with no shoe or wedge on :redface: so I just quickly took a quick snap when I could!

So what can you tell me about this front hoof? He was last shod 6 weeks ago to the day, and the farrier said he had "grown a fair bit of foot" and that he generally had good feet. I'm assuming that will be good for going barefoot (I don't want to do it until I've been on my 1 day barefoot course)?

So, what can you see? Sorry - I appreciate you probably won't be able to tell much with just one photo. This is after the farrier has trimmed him up ready for the shoe to go on.

CIMG5792.jpg

There is a little bit of quarter flaring, but really not a lot. White line is nice and tight at the toes. I have to admit wondering how much he has taken off the soles and frog though :eek: He has a little bit of concavity... a nice foot considering the problems you are having!

Last edited:
Oh and frog has some "growing" to do also, but that will happen when the frog can touch the ground and be stimulated I suspect as it doesn't look majorly thrushy (though I tend to treat for thrush if can see it or smell it or not)

Yes it is flat but there is a bit of concavity - not flattest I've seen! also expect footyness out of shoes. What I can't tell is how much has been taken off sole?

This thread has given me the idea i should do photo of my cob.

Anyway slight concave either side of frog. More wall one ride than the other, his shape.

Depends really on quality of hoof wall and sole. Taking into account your diet, terrain and turnout.
Your farrier will be the best one to ask questions.
Enjoy the course though. Friend been on one. Something i would like to do.

Difficult to say how concave or otherwise it is from that photo, it's also quite hard to judge how it will turn out as it will have been trimmed pretty short for shoeing. The frog looks a bit narrow / contracted, sometimes contraction is part of the problem with these vague lamenesses in the back of the foot.

Is it my eyes or is the hoof/foot at a odd angle?
Have you got ep Trimmer coming to do feet?

Looks OK to me, always hard to tell from a single photo. Feet don't always grow symmetrically either, not if the horse doesn't load them evenly.

I've got a friend on the yard whose horse has other issues but went lame on one foot and ended up trying wedges. They didn't help, she took the shoes off and the horse has come sound, or as sound as it ever will. Sometimes allowing them to work out their own hoof balance can make all the difference. Managing a flat footed horse barefoot isn't necessarily a problem, but you are more likely to need boots for difficult surfaces, and I would definitely set off with a pair. In a rehab case like this all you're looking for in the first instance is for the horse to be field sound, and most are from the off, at least until the ground dries out, and then not always.

I see toe/sole stretched from toe first landing and to match a contracted heel through lack of use. Deep infection in central sulcus. All easily sorted :)

Any horse might be able to go without shoes, but many cannot "work" without them.

I see toe/sole stretched from toe first landing and to match a contracted heel through lack of use. Deep infection in central sulcus. All easily sorted :)

This^^

I think basic shape is fine, flaring is very minimal:)

Attack that thrush, now, and hopefully he may start using his heels more and his toe less.

That alone may help with the stumbling. I would stumble if I was trying not to walk on my heels!

Hard to judge from photo, but it looks like the farrier has rasped the sole flat at the toe area :eek:

Remedial showing has been tried though Wally - so taking them off, getting the foot functioning properly and then relooking at shoes once the foot is working well is not an issue - taking them off does not mean they can't go back on. Surely it's worth a try before the vets suggestion of neurectomy?

The nail holes are close to or in the white line as well, doesn't always cause a problem but can be another source of slight lameness even if it's not a full blown nail bind.

Oh wow guys - I wish I could understand more of what you are saying. At the moment I feel like you are talking a different language and I understand every other word :-(

Deep infection of the central sulcus? I do know which bit that is but don't know what an infection there looks like. Is that thrush or something else?? I doubt I can do much about that now as the shoes have gone back on for one last cycle, with the wedges, which cover up a lot of the top of the frog.

Oh this feels too hard :-( Sorry - am just feeling down as am mid negotiation with field mate over which fields I can have and it's so draining and everything just seems against me.

You are bound to feel tired and maybe a little out of your depth.

Look on this as opportunity to learn, if you are staying with your farrier he will point out things to you. He would have noticed the infection?

I use bf Trimmer who qualified farrier initially. He always talks to me and shows me parts of the foot etc. Discusses diet and terrain.

I don't know everything about barefoot even though been bare for past 6 years. Please don't beat yourself up. Your doing well.

That's fine if your farrier actually acknowledges that there is an infection! Many only consider there to be a problem when it's oozing black stuff and or stinks like mad :(

if you are staying with your farrier he will point out things to you. He would have noticed the infection?

You can't really do anything until the pads are off. Then, if it were me, I'd soak in Chlorine Dioxide or a branded varient called White Lightening once a week or more if you can do it for a month. then just go with a tidy frog and good hygene really.

That's fine if your farrier actually acknowledges that there is an infection! Many only consider there to be a problem when it's oozing black stuff and or stinks like mad :(

You can't really do anything until the pads are off. Then, if it were me, I'd soak in Chlorine Dioxide or a branded varient called White Lightening once a week or more if you can do it for a month. then just go with a tidy frog and good hygene really.

Yep - the farrier did not mention any thrush :frown: Where do you get this White Lightening stuff please?

newrider.com