Good traveller turned bad!

kirky

Feb 15, 2007
Tyne and wear
Has anyone experienced a horse who has travelled for years fairly quietly in a trailer(double ifor williams) then all of a sudden had a funny turn and started kicking the trailer until the back boots are off and their side and legs are red raw?

I am baffled and upset and I cannot think that we have done anything differently. Trying Oxyshot again and a friends box next time but it is baffling and my horse is now battle scarred.:eek:

Any advice, experiences would be helpful...

Dylan has kind of started doing the same thing! he Travelled well for years and now stomps his feet terrible when travelling. So much so I have to keep checking he hasnt gone through the floor!!! No idea why he has started doing this though....we thought we must have braked too hard or something and made him scared of travelling.

Had the backman out today to check his back and he is fine so it isn't that. He suggested taking out the partition and letting him have more room to plant his back feet so that he can take corners better,

I have to say both Denise(who I share the trailer with) are both careful drivers with our horses so it isn't the driving either.:confused:

My friends horse was a good traveller turned bad and after eliminating all the usual suspects, she called a horse whisperer who told her that her horse didnt like travelling now because the exhaust fumes from her 4x4 were leaking into the trailler! She got it sorted and her horse went back to normal!

i've had this happen before , is it a fairly large horse in a trailer?

trick that seems to work if it is a split partition trailer is take out the rear partition & use a full width bar , gives the horse more room to spread back legs to balance ( obviously no good if you are travelling 2 together !)

omg, my horse just started doing this too,
he is 16hh in a 505 ifor williams, which we treid several times before i bought it, has travelled in it fine for a year and suddenly started stamping and knocking back half of partition down, and last week refused to load, doesnt usually even need to be led, just point and he loads himself,
so frustrating cause i cant afford a 510!!

andreab-thats exactly what the backman said to me but like you said only useful if he is alone and I share my trailer with a good mate. I am however looking at sharing a box with her now.

highreb-how I sympathise with you. My boy was never a poor traveller, quite the opposite in fact but I am wary now and so is he. Using some Oxyshot before next time to help soothe his nerves a bit.:cool:

Same happened to me. Horse travelled for years in a 505 no problem, then all of a sudden he started kicking, throwing himself gainst the trailer sides. People kept saying he was at it. But me being me, knew there was something wrong. Got vet out and checked him over, to find he had the start of bone spavin and the movement of the trailer was enough for him to feel some pain.

It did settle and then he started again so we took out the partitions in the trailer as we only travelled him anyway and he hasnt done anything else since, that was two years ago.

my pals 17.3hh started getting freaked out - she's about to try him in a 510 just with the single breast bar and partition out and see how it goes - have you tried that ??

newrider.com