Good Saddle Fitting Guides

Laura2184

Mar 1, 2005
Cheshire
www.cheshiretackroom.co.uk
I would love to learn more about saddle fitting, recently bought a new saddle on trial, have a saddle fitter coming to look at it next week but would love to know more myself. Obviously I'm well aware this shoud be left to the professionals but want to increase my knowledge. So far I know...

• Saddle shouldn't sit beyond the last rib
  • should have sufficient clearance above the wither and spine when being ridden in
  • panels should be smooth (no lumpy flocking) and large for good, even weight distribution
  • the saddle should not rock up or down or move side to side when ridden in
  • the seat area should be horizontal to ensure the riders weight is evenly distributed and they are not being pushed forward or back
  • saddle should not pinch the withers
  • should be able to run your hand right along the front of the saddle with ease

Anything else to add to my list?

Very important but often forgotten, the saddle is correct for the rider and activity, ie right seat size for length of thigh, correct stirrup bar placement and kneeroll and thighroll if it has them supporting not obstructing riders leg.

I am 5'7" with shortish legs and need a very different saddle from long legged 5'11 daughter.

Good fitters will balance the horses needs with those of the rider.

When I have a saddle fitter out I ask if I can have a fitting lesson. The saddler takes all the measurements etc, selects potential saddles. Then allows me to go thru the fitting process under her supervision, its a great way to learn.
As my daughters pony is difficult to fit, I have had lots of lessons.

The thing I learnt very quickly is that what looks right when the horse is stood still without a rider can all change in the blink of an eye with a rider on board and movement.

I don't think this is an easy subject tbh as it's not just about whether the existing saddle fits it's also about knowing as much of the saddle markket as posible and being able to match saddle to horse and rider.

I have a great deal fo respect for good fitters and don't underestimate the amount of time and experience it would take to be a good one. :)

newrider.com