Good doer - if you put up a post about this before, please read this!!

Colour_Crazy_Gi

«.zσℓα.»
Mar 17, 2006
Bucks
Ok people were saying : 'Good doer is to help a horse put weight on' BUT! MAJOR PROBLEM!! my pony is on it to LOSE WEIGHT! if you feed it to your horse and it doesnt get fat thats why!! I might be young but i no what im on about it says on the bag lol! Please listen to this! Its important!

I'm lost:rolleyes: My understanding was that 'good doer' referred to a horse or pony that didn't need much food to remain 'well rounded' and therefore I assumed that 'good doer' feed was a low calorie, low sugar, low whatever feed that was designed to be fed to horses that don't need to gain weight- a bit like weight watchers meals for horses if you like?

my moose is on good doer. Its for the horse that can live off fresh air :p

HairyCob said:
I'm lost:rolleyes: My understanding was that 'good doer' referred to a horse or pony that didn't need much food to remain 'well rounded' and therefore I assumed that 'good doer' feed was a low calorie, low sugar, low whatever feed that was designed to be fed to horses that don't need to gain weight- a bit like weight watchers meals for horses if you like?

Thats exactly what it is. Low calorie, mint flavour, suitable for overweight/laminitic. Could give you the full blurb if I could be bothered to walk out to the shed and check. Can do so if anyone really needs to know :)

From the Dengie web site
Hi-Fi GOOD DO-ER is the complete maintenance feed for horses and ponies prone to weight gain. Providing approximately 7MJ/kg of slow release energy, it is similar to late cut hay and is ideal for helping to control the calorie intake of horses and ponies who need to watch their waistlines.

Hi-Fi GOOD DO-ER is a blend of alfalfa and quality soft straw, which is mint flavoured and boosted with vitamins and minerals to provide all the nutrients your horse or pony needs. Alfalfa is an excellent natural source of antioxidants.

HOW TO GET THE MOST OUT OF FEEDING WITH DENGIE Hi-Fi GOOD DO-ER: Hi-Fi Good Do-er can be fed on its own, as the bucket feed for horses and ponies undertaking a weight loss programme or to replace part of the hay ration. Hi-Fi Good Do-er is ideal as part of a weight loss programme - it is low in “calories” but delivers sufficient fibre to maintain gut function.

RESPIRATORY CARE
The alfalfa in Hi-Fi Good Do-er is dried at a very high temperature which effectively sterilises the product, killing moulds. Efficient extraction processes ensure Hi-Fi Good Do-er has a low dust content making it ideal for horses and ponies prone to respiratory allergies.

Last edited:
I think what the original poster means is that someone on another post said Good Doer was a feed to help put weight onto a horse but she is correcting this and saying that it is actually to stop horses from putting too much weight on. Correct me if I'm wrong, Colour_Crazy_Gi. :eek: :)

Colour_Crazy_Gi said:
Ok people were saying : 'Good doer is to help a horse put weight on' BUT! MAJOR PROBLEM!! my pony is on it to LOSE WEIGHT! if you feed it to your horse and it doesnt get fat thats why!! I might be young but i no what im on about it says on the bag lol! Please listen to this! Its important!

Can you tell us where people were saying this? I haven't seen anything on this board about Good Doer and certainly not in that context.

Good Doer and Happy Hoof may be similar, but they aren't the same. For a start Happy hoof has a considerably higher digestible energy rating and isn't flavoured with mint :D

Good Doer is definitely for horses that need to lose wieght, not gain it.

happy hoof is mint flavoured, bought a bag last night and it says on the bag it is.
its isnt the same tho, happy hoof is chopped finer and has bits in it.

I fed good doer last year to crystal,and she still got fat! Any suggestions??? This year she is on two scoops of calm and condition, and ad lib haylage. And, in another couple of weeks,she is being chucked out for the summer, hopefully!!!!! yipppeeee!

calm and condition will put weight on you'r mare , my TB dosent even get two scoops of that !! if she puts weight on to eisialy just give her a HANDFULL, no more of chaff with some carrots / apples e.c.t. and an all round vit and mineral supliment. She will never lose weight on a condioning feed!

Also try hay not haylage , hayalage has a lot mor protien in it and therefore will make her put on weight.

Bay Mare said:
Can you tell us where people were saying this? I haven't seen anything on this board about Good Doer and certainly not in that context.

I read it on a message board here somewhere (It was definatley NR as i dont use any other forums!) but for some reason i couldnt post.... Anyway. What im rying to say is: Dont feed Good Doer to your horse if it is skinny. Feed it to it if it is fat! (like zola! :D)

We feed Good Doer to both our cobby type of horses and they are loosing weight, but only have one scoop each a day, so do not even get all the vits and mns, so we add Global herbs vitamin and mineral supplement. They then get a ration of hay morning and evening, and work to help them loose weight, still overweight - beleive me if Good Doer put weight on they would be the first type to show it!!!!!
So not quite sure where the original post person got her facts from. Does not say that on my pack.

newrider.com