Good coat, good hooves!

Charlotte

Jun 15, 2000
UK
Visit site
I used to buy soya oil for my horse, but now use ordinary vegetable oil - particularly in winter. This not only promotes a healthy coat and hooves, but helps keep his weight on and provides energy without fizz.

I also give a small amount in his feed in summer, every other day to keep his coat and hooves healthy.

Back in the dim and distant we used to use cod liver oil. I'm not so sure about it now. Codliver oil is not something a horse would come across naturally.
We use veggie oil and it really does make a difference. We get it from the wholesalers in big 5 gallon drums.
Good for putting the weight on skinny nags too.

Wally
From a horse's point of view is their a taste diffence betwenn cod liver oil and veggie oil? The reason I ask is my baby will not touch anything with a hint of liquid Cod liver oil anywhere near it, and yes she could do with building up a bit, but she has more than enough fizz of her own without adding any! Ginger POP! but lovely with it.

I have found that some horses won't touch codliver but will eat veggie oil

This is why I feed Veg Oil,

AS you say Wally, cod liver oil is not natural for horses - how many horses do we know that eat fish?!!

As I said, I use the veg oil for weight gain in the winter, as well as for promoting healthy shine and good hooves - I'd say it helps with joint mobility too.

Horses cannot digest great amounts of oil. So a couple of table spoons per feed should be enough for a small chap. If you put in too much it'll just come out the other end!

Ours are, on average,13.2-14hh and get about 3 spoons per feed.

Just a rough guide.

newrider.com