Going it alone

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I have some (kind of) exciting news. We're buying some land behind our house and will have the horses at home. Not getting too worked up yet because we've only shaken hands on it and waiting for the solicitors to start the process.

I have very mixed feelings. I love the yard I'm on which is only over the road, and will miss the company, the facilities and most of all the YO looking out for my horses with her eagle sharp eyes, and her vast knowledge - I'll be ringing her every day asking which rug I should put on!

Anyway we've been kind of forced into buying this land because the farmer is selling the field and he approached us. The alternative is having someone else buy it and do goodness knows what up to our boundary (there is the possibility of a concrete works using it for storage). He's charging way over the odds for arable land because it abuts our property so we can only afford 2 acres.

At the moment it's an ex-arable field which has been left fallow this year, so everything needs doing from scratch. We have an agent lined up to take us through the planning application process and hopefully a local farming contractor who will do the heavy work, but any tips, hints, past experiences will be very welcome. For instance wood or block stables? How much storage for hay/bedding? Aaaaarrggh.

Very overwhelmed with it all!

Last edited:
How exciting!!!! We started with two acres for J and Storm and mobile shelters. I can tell you lots about our experience, I’d probably better wait until you think of things as you go along! There’s loads of things I’d have done differently but I’m sure other people on here will have lots of advice too.

Reactions: Bodshi
No advice, but how exciting. If you stay on good terms with your yo, and given the circumstances I can't see why you wouldn't, then hopefully you'll still have the advantages of a yard too.

Not to put a dampener on it but have you spoken to your local planning office re stables/change of use? I’d do that before any money changes hands if not, the last thing you want is to spend over the odds on land for your horses and then discover you can’t get planning permission.
That said, wow yes how exiting! I’d love to have Belle at the bottom of my garden, I wouldn’t know where to start with how to convert it though. Good luck ??

Reactions: Trewsers and Bodshi
Use your land as additional grazing but stick on your current yard for facilities etc? If your YO would allow maybe that is a possibility?

Reactions: newforest
Thanks everyone. @Trewsers, I'd love to hear any tips about things you would have done differently.

The agent doesn't think we'll have trouble with change of use because some of our neighbours have previously bought pieces of the field - for garden though, not equestrian - but she doesn't think it will be a problem. She can't see an issue with stables either, providing they're not too close to neighbouring properties, but if so we can opt for mobile shelters. However, it's apparently much easier and cheaper if we do everything in one go, ie change of use and planning all in one lot, which means we need detailed drawings and plans, so not like we could get the land sorted and fenced and then think about the best place for the stables. It's really hard to envisage.

We have thought in the past about approaching the farmer and asking to buy some land but I always chickened out and decided I'm best off on the yard. Anyway, as you say @carthorse, I am on good terms with the YO, who completely understands the situation, so it's not like I'm being frozen out. It won't be the same though - I'll probably get my mucking out done much more quickly - but I'll miss the gossip and the laughs. I don't really see anyone other than yard friends!

Reactions: Trewsers
That sounds wonderful. At least you got approached rather than the land just going up for sale and you potentially missing out. I assume from what your saying that the farmer is splitting the land into parcels. Cant remember how many horses you have, and 2 acres could be enough but if you can stretch to anymore i would urge you to if possible.

You technically dont need planning permission for field shelters on skids, although some areas ive heard are insisting on this.

I would go for concrete stables and tack room. Much better and safer alround. Always go for separate hay and bedding storage in case of fire risks. Having had our barn go up in smoke due to arsonists and hearing of a couple of locals stables being tourched too. Better to be separate from stabling.
You can never have too much storage so i would over estimate. Work out what hay and bedding you use. Remember its cheaper if you can buy hay in in bulk. So make sure theres good access for hay deliveries. Will you have a separate field entrance from your house.

Grazing wise I would make sure you sort a good perimeter fence from the off, then worry about sub divisions and paddocks once you are actually using it. What you plan on paper in advance has a habit of changing once in use as ive discovered over time.
Water supply to paddocks is the biggest thing. I purchased a 100 metres of blue water pipe, in 50 metre sections which means i can T in where i need. Ive left the pipe surface which means i can move the trough and pipe to stop ground churning up. Being surface in winter does obviously have its drawbacks with frost and cold climates, but with climate change for 10 months of the year ists not been a problem.

If its been arable and fallow for a year. Just get a farmer in to top any growth, plough, level and seed with a suitable grass ley. Is it already fenced or is the farmer fencing it as he sells off plots.

Im sure if its only over the road from your current yard you can still link up to ride out with people.

Its daunting suddenly having your own land but over time you will look back and realise its a wonderful thing. I think if you have a horse on a yard away from where you live, once you have your own land at home you very quickly appreciate not having to get in your car to travel to see them. Not having to abid by yard rules is another huge plus.

Some things I remember wishing I'd already had in place when we brought them home to live the first time:

some kind of hard standing - if you're employing someone (a contractor) then get it done properly right from the start. Get your gateways stoned up too, otherwise they can lead to all kinds of misery. At the end of one long hard winter at our old house we were practically marooned and hacking was almost impossible due to the gateway out and the track leading to the road. Get your hard standing put in - I know field mats are rated and do work for some people but depending on where you are in the uk they can quickly disappear! I spent a fortune on some and the only reason I couldn't have hard standing is because where we lived it required planning permission.
However you mentioned you're having someone sort this out for you? They should pretty much have all that covered.

If you can afford it, get water in there. It will save aching arms and winter misery (and summer too when the horses kindly poo in the water buckets). Again, that's something I wish I'd had done. (We eventually moved to a different area of our land and with the proper planning permissions had all of this put in)

I would say go for electric if you can afford it. Depending on how far away your stables are going to be sited, running it from the house isn't that big a deal. Ours had to go across a big field and it didn't cost that much in the scheme of things. If not, invest in plenty of re chargeable lights - and always make sure you have lots of torches.

With regard to the actual stables and tack room - if you can obtain permission for concrete, go for it. We weren't allowed as where we came from the council disliked you having them as many people later on after a few years pass try and obtain permission to convert to housing! I don't know your council or how strict they are. But we had Redmire timber buildings put up - they cost around £10,000 and the concrete about £5,000 plus brickwork. They are nice and the timber looks lovely but I personally didn't feel that they weathered as well as stone or concrete would have done. (But it was harsh weather wise where we were).

I dont think any timber whethers well these days as theyve taken out the nasties that actually used to be used to properly preserve timber years ago. Thats why concrete although a big expense is better in the long run.

Electric from the house can be done by laying in an armoured cable underground. Over head is ok if it a very short distance from the house and no vehicles need to drive under neath at all. You could always do solar panels on the stable roof for electric. But if your running mains its better to go into a concrete building.

Hardstanding yes is a must. I would suggest road plannings/scalpings for a cheaper option than concrete or tarmac if you cant afford it. If you are laying a track/driveway of any length you may need planning for that, so best to check that out with planning.

I would go for concrete stables and tack room. Much better and safer alround. Always go for separate hay and bedding storage in case of fire risks. Having had our barn go up in smoke due to arsonists and hearing of a couple of locals stables being tourched too. Better to be separate from stabling.
You can never have too much storage so i would over estimate. Work out what hay and bedding you use. Remember its cheaper if you can buy hay in in bulk. So make sure theres good access for hay deliveries. Will you have a separate field entrance from your house.

Grazing wise I would make sure you sort a good perimeter fence from the off, then worry about sub divisions and paddocks once you are actually using it. What you plan on paper in advance has a habit of changing once in use as ive discovered over time.
Water supply to paddocks is the biggest thing. I purchased a 100 metres of blue water pipe, in 50 metre sections which means i can T in where i need. Ive left the pipe surface which means i can move the trough and pipe to stop ground churning up. Being surface in winter does obviously have its drawbacks with frost and cold climates, but with climate change for 10 months of the year ists not been a problem.

If its been arable and fallow for a year. Just get a farmer in to top any growth, plough, level and seed with a suitable grass ley. Is it already fenced or is the farmer fencing it as he sells off plots.

Im sure if its only over the road from your current yard you can still link up to ride out with people.

Its daunting suddenly having your own land but over time you will look back and realise its a wonderful thing. I think if you have a horse on a yard away from where you live, once you have your own land at home you very quickly appreciate not having to get in your car to travel to see them. Not having to abid by yard rules is another huge plus

Thanks @chunky monkey, great advice. I was planning a small L-shaped stable block in my head, just two stables, a feed/tack room and a store room, but I get your point about keeping the hay/bedding store separate, plus having easy access for deliveries. So maybe the two stables and feed room in a line and a separate store somewhere that still provides a shelter from the wind, with an outward facing access for deliveries and inward for me.

We have access at the bottom of our garden which we rarely use - the previous owners used to bring their caravan in that way, but we've let it grass over and the conifers and other shrubs have blocked the access up the garden. However, we can take down some conifers (which are awful anyway) and make the access into the field, rather than the garden, but we will need hard standing to drive the wagon (and any tractors, delivery vehicles etc) up to the stables. it will need to be as cheap as possible!

We have to post and rail fence our bit of the field, part of the terms of sale. I suppose I'll have to learn all about electric fencing too. Thanks for the tips re the water, like you say it will be handy to be able to be flexible with where the water outlets will be, since I haven't a clue how to split up the fields. We can't afford more than two acres, I know it isn't really enough for 2 horses, so I'm envisaging that we'll need to micro manage it over winter to avoid trashing the whole lot. I'm also thinking I'll get a little yard fenced in in front of the stable block, so that if anyone needs to be on restricted turnout they can just go in there - but is concrete suitable for that (ie an extension of the hard standing that the stables will be on) or does it need to be something softer?

I really don't mind my yard rules, in fact I don't think there are any overly restrictive ones - no lunging in the outdoor arena, clean up after yourself, turn lights/taps off, no bitching etc. There is the 'yard opens at 7 am, closes at 7 pm in winter, 9 pm in summer' one - and it will be lovely to be able to ride early if I feel like it in summer, before work. That is something to look forward to!

Some things I remember wishing I'd already had in place when we brought them home to live the first time:

some kind of hard standing - if you're employing someone (a contractor) then get it done properly right from the start. Get your gateways stoned up too, otherwise they can lead to all kinds of misery. At the end of one long hard winter at our old house we were practically marooned and hacking was almost impossible due to the gateway out and the track leading to the road. Get your hard standing put in - I know field mats are rated and do work for some people but depending on where you are in the uk they can quickly disappear! I spent a fortune on some and the only reason I couldn't have hard standing is because where we lived it required planning permission.
However you mentioned you're having someone sort this out for you? They should pretty much have all that covered.

If you can afford it, get water in there. It will save aching arms and winter misery (and summer too when the horses kindly poo in the water buckets). Again, that's something I wish I'd had done. (We eventually moved to a different area of our land and with the proper planning permissions had all of this put in)

I would say go for electric if you can afford it. Depending on how far away your stables are going to be sited, running it from the house isn't that big a deal. Ours had to go across a big field and it didn't cost that much in the scheme of things. If not, invest in plenty of re chargeable lights - and always make sure you have lots of torches.

With regard to the actual stables and tack room - if you can obtain permission for concrete, go for it. We weren't allowed as where we came from the council disliked you having them as many people later on after a few years pass try and obtain permission to convert to housing! I don't know your council or how strict they are. But we had Redmire timber buildings put up - they cost around £10,000 and the concrete about £5,000 plus brickwork. They are nice and the timber looks lovely but I personally didn't feel that they weathered as well as stone or concrete would have done. (But it was harsh weather wise where we were).

Thanks @Trewsers. Never thought about the gateways, and I should have done because I've seen plenty of posts on here about muddy gateways. Such a good idea to get them sorted while everything else is being done.

I think we can bring water and electric from the house. I wonder if we'll have to go on a water meter though. We're not on one at the moment and I hope we don't have to go on one, but will they make us I wonder? My youngest son is an electrician (handy! ) - he was travelling, making his way to Australia before the pandemic hit and he can't wait to get off again, so I'm kind of hoping the situation makes it impossible for him to go until after he's sorted out the electrics for us (mean, I know). Must stock up on torches too, in case of power cuts - never thought, but it must be difficult dealing with horses in the total darkness!

Gosh, aren't timber buildings expensive? We'll be trying to keep costs down as much as possible, but not sure if going for timber will make that much difference, especially as we have a friend who is a builder who will do the stables for us. Not that we won't pay him properly, but we know he won't rip us off and he'll be honest about costs etc. Funny what you say about people trying to convert their stables to housing - a few years ago our previous neighbours erected a stable block in their garden which looks exactly like a bungalow. He was a builder though, and not an honest one (went to prison for fraud for a year or two) so there may have been a fair few backhanders involved.

If your yard is only over the road, can't you reduce to stable and facilities?

Unfortunately not - it's just full livery (except weekends). YO says I can still use the arena though. Whether I'll make the effort is another matter, it's touch and go now! I did use it tonight, but only because there's so many combines about today.

Maybe, once it's all sorted, pop over with coffee and biscuits once a week?

Good idea - bring food! That should work ? I hope I'll be allowed to stay in the group Whatsapp too, so I'll know what's going on. It will still be strange though. New chapter I suppose.

I would concrete your hardstanding and if you need to make softer you could put down rubber mats or grass mats on top.
I wouldnt do grass mats direct on grass area or they will just sink. You could try the mud control mats direct on the grass for hardstanding though.

Just post and rail for horses is a no no in my book as they just push it over. So i would post and rail as request then put up proper fencing inside that or post and rail with several high tensile wires interspersed on it as the perimeter. All our perimeter fences are 6 strand hi tensile. Yes its an outlay but its maintenance is relatively low.

I would concrete your hardstanding and if you need to make softer you could put down rubber mats or grass mats on top.
I wouldnt do grass mats direct on grass area or they will just sink. You could try the mud control mats direct on the grass for hardstanding though.

Just post and rail for horses is a no no in my book as they just push it over. So i would post and rail as request then put up proper fencing inside that or post and rail with several high tensile wires interspersed on it as the perimeter. All our perimeter fences are 6 strand hi tensile. Yes its an outlay but its maintenance is relatively low.

Thanks for that tip. Would an electric fence inside the post and rail work? Both horses respect the electric and it would run off mains because we can bring it from the house.

I was hoping to plant a hedge round the perimeter - thought there was a government scheme for such things but apparently it's ended. Not surprising considering the current economic crisis I suppose. So that might have to wait. But I was anticipating I'd have to put an electric fence inside the perimeter anyway to protect the hedgelings until they've grown up. The planning lady said it would help to say we intended to plant a hedge.

Yeah I think if you can get pp for block or stone buildings go for it. Timber looks the business when it first goes up, but in my experience after ten years doesn't weather that well - but of course that all depends on where you are in the uk (you're a Yorkshire lass I think?). Where we lived was very exposed and both the shelters and actual stable block did show signs of the weather. We had the field shelters on skids to comply with our then council requirements. They weren't cheap at £5,000 and I'm going back fourteen years. STill, they made a nice home for the owls when we stopped using them :rolleyes:

Are you thinking of attaching the electric to the post and rail or as a separate fence inside.
If you plant a hedge you need to leave enough distance between it and the hedge or as it grows up it becomes difficult to keep trimmed off the electric fence or off post and rail. Depends really what you are thinking as the perimeter, and or internal to protect a hedge.
Any hedge unless maintained will grow into trees and or will collapse. So could take out the post and rail.

I don't have water here. Its a simple 1000 litre tank that sits on a four wheel trailer. That then gets towed and put into place. Hosepipe and sorted.
That lasts the cob two months, it's solely drinking water. I collect the rain water off it and that's ideal to sponge off on hot days.

What about the tack staying in the house? It may not be insured in the tack room, but house contents might cover you for saddle etc.

I use electric fencing, we have banks and hedges around all the perimeter.

Checking my acreage, it's 2.5, so two in theory because half is shelter, trees, water, rolling spots and storage. Not actual grazing.

I don't have water here. Its a simple 1000 litre tank that sits on a four wheel trailer. That then gets towed and put into place. Hosepipe and sorted.
That lasts the cob two months, it's solely drinking water. I collect the rain water off it and that's ideal to sponge off on hot days.

What about the tack staying in the house? It may not be insured in the tack room, but house contents might cover you for saddle etc.

I use electric fencing, we have banks and hedges around all the perimeter.

Checking my acreage, it's 2.5, so two in theory because half is shelter, trees, water, rolling spots and storage. Not actual grazing.

That's a good point about the tack and insurance. When Storm was insured mine was covered through kbis, but then I added it onto the household insurance, and they were satisfied with that though I did have to fit a proper lock on the door.

newrider.com