Go on then...whats the smallest I could ride?

SpringySpring

May 3, 2008
London is my playground
I know you are all sick of these threads - so I apologise in advance :)

A friend has asked if I will ride her daughters pony for a few weeks as the daughter has broken her arm and they want to keep the pony in work. It will be a few times a week, hacking w/t/c and some schooling.

I think I may be a bit on the big size though. The pony is fairly cobby, but I would guess only 13hh, maybe even a little smaller. I'm just over 5ft5 and 8st 3 with all my riding gear on. I currently ride a 15.1hh connie cross and my feet hang level with her belly, so I would look absolutely ridiculous on this pony, but could he carry me??

If your only going to be doing it for a few weeks then it should be ok.

I mean all you can do is see how the pony goes and if he/she feels different or behaves differently then maybe it is not confortable!

I am no good at these things, and there is no accurate way of assessing weight carrying capacity!

My neighbour, who I would say is about your height and weight, used to ride her daughters 11.2hh when he daughter didn't have time to due to school and the winter etc!

IMO, you`ll be absolutely fine. I`m 5ft 5 and weigh 8 stone 9, and have ridden a 12.2hh before, you may need roller skates on :D:D, but go for it - who cares what you look like as long as you have fun :):)

Depends on the build of the pony/small horse.
Dyfra is 12.3 hands tall, I am 5'6" tall.. and she takes up my leg better than many 15 to 16 hand horses.
medyfrajune08ctoltsmall.jpg

How tall/heavy is the daughter who is usually riding him? If you are a lot taller/heavier than the usual rider (you're certainly not heavy, or especially tall but, are we talking about a small child who usually rides him?) the pony will notice the difference, and you may want to take it easy to start with while he adjusts to the different weight and balance. Perhaps stick to walk and trot to start with, large figures when schooling, keep it reasonably flat when riding out etc. Rather as one would with a young horse, for example.

He's probably capable of carrying you, it's just a matter of bearing in mind what he's used to, and giving him a chance to adapt. You might be capable of running a marathon - but if all you usually do is jog a mile down the road to the shops, you need time to work up to it! :D

I know you are all sick of these threads - so I apologise in advance :)

A friend has asked if I will ride her daughters pony for a few weeks as the daughter has broken her arm and they want to keep the pony in work. It will be a few times a week, hacking w/t/c and some schooling.

I think I may be a bit on the big size though. The pony is fairly cobby, but I would guess only 13hh, maybe even a little smaller. I'm just over 5ft5 and 8st 3 with all my riding gear on. I currently ride a 15.1hh connie cross and my feet hang level with her belly, so I would look absolutely ridiculous on this pony, but could he carry me??

newrider.com