gloves,do they rub,or any other issues??

devonlass

May 20, 2006
devon
Well it seems as much as I loved them,the renegades just weren't suited to my lad.Despite huge efforts by myself and my trimmer,we just can't sort the twisting on one foot issue.We definitely think it's him and his action,as boot on other foot was fine,but whatever they just aren't going to work.Gutted because I loved my renegades,but hey ho.

Anyway trimmer today brought out some brand new gloves to try.Did the fit kit thing and clever trimmer had brought the right size proper ones.Have to say I am not as impressed with the putting on and getting off thing as was with my renegades,but even I have to admit the design on the foot and fit looks good so far.

My only concern is that my lad has a certain amount of feather (fell pony),and is lovely feather too that I would like to keep!! Asked trimmer if she had any feedback on rubbing or breaking off feather,but she didn't,so does anyone use these on a feathered horse?? If so what are the results,do they damage or break the feather?? Bearing in mind also that my lad's feather isn't really thick or coarse,quite silky and known in the fell world for breaking off just in wet weather apparantly:rolleyes:

The renegades weren't enclosed like the gloves at the back so could flick the feather out over the boot,so am a little worried with these.Also has anyone had any rubbing problems with gloves,with or without feather??,(but again particularly interested to hear from those with hairy heels!!)

Any other issues anyone has,I know nothing about gloves,and although will try anything at this point just to be able to ride without worrying,I do prefer to know a little about what I'm dealing with.

Also do they get easier to get on and off with practice,as I found them quite tricky,particularly to get off,felt like I needed a shoe horn!!

Thankies in advance for any replies:)

Yep, get much easier to get on and off with practice.

Problems: if your horses foots flares inbetween trims and the boot is on the tighter side of a fit, you might need to remove the flare between trims yourself to avoid problems with fit. I do with front boots (tighter) but not with back boots...
Also, if feet are broad, gloves tend to be effy. My lad fitted fitkit okay, but real gloves have had issue on broader fronts at higher speed despite tight fit. Now they're getting a more normal shape in front, they're great - but I don't need them on fronts much now anyway which is typical lol...

No experience re feathering at all I'm afraid as Lance only gets whisps of feather (as in, non hairy type of feathery?) but even they get trimmed off :D But no rubbing to his skin or heels at all from gaiters...

Yep, get much easier to get on and off with practice.

Problems: if your horses foots flares inbetween trims and the boot is on the tighter side of a fit, you might need to remove the flare between trims yourself to avoid problems with fit. I do with front boots (tighter) but not with back boots...
Also, if feet are broad, gloves tend to be effy. My lad fitted fitkit okay, but real gloves have had issue on broader fronts at higher speed despite tight fit. Now they're getting a more normal shape in front, they're great - but I don't need them on fronts much now anyway which is typical lol...

No experience re feathering at all I'm afraid as Lance only gets whisps of feather (as in, non hairy type of feathery?) but even they get trimmed off :D But no rubbing to his skin or heels at all from gaiters...

Thank you muchly for the reply:)

I am very relieved to hear they get easier to put on and get off,I felt rather pathetic today,struggling to get the silly thing off:eek:

In regard to the issues.Tight fit was one of my concerns,as they need to be such a snug fit to begin with,and feel that in summer when hooves grow loads,I will have problems with them being too tight.However had the same problem with my renegades,as his feet grow so rapidly and trimmer offered to come out every 2-3 weeks to trim (she suggested I try myself but didn't get on with doing it very well),am guessing will just have to go down that road with the gloves as well:rolleyes:

My lad does have quite wide native type feet,so could you explain a bit more about what you mean about problems with wider type feet??

Glad to hear about the not rubbing at least,I am hoping the feather will not create a problem with this,but will have to wait and see I guess.

I have been using gloves on my Arab gelding, Ali for the last 6-8 weeks, so no help here with the feather issues, sorry. He has very dinky feet (size 00.5!) and silky legs.

I still have trouble getting them on... although getting them off is now a lot better now I have worked out to pull outwards on one side of the heel bulb area, which seems to create some space so the "vacuum" is broken and they just come right off... I have found them great with no slipping, done a little jumping and even through a bog we didnt see first! I was a little worried about the gaiters, as the first time he had them on he bent down to sniff them and when he picked his head up there in his mouth was half a gaiter!!! (There was a lot of sewing going on that night) That lesson only happened once!

I think what Peaches means is that they are not designed for those with wider feet - you might find the twisting problem back - I was advised against having the gloves for my rather rounder footed Appaloosa, although you seem to have a good trimmer there and if you dont try these things youll never know. Let us know how you get on!

They're a type of hoof boot Kimmy C. http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/...are_easyboot_glove_glove_hoofboot-(1078).aspx

As for wider feet: yes, not really ideal for them due to the shape. I tried the fitkit and found that even on my lads front feet which are on the round/wide side, they seemed to fit pretty well so bit the bullet and went for them.
Now whilst they work fine on his front feet when they are trimmed very regularly (read, rasping every week to every 2 weeks by me, and a proper pro trim every 4 weeks), and the feet are not allowed to flare and become *too* round (his tend to 'square' at the toe because of where the flare occurs with him). However if I don't keep tabs on rasping myself between proper trims, and the flare develops, making the foot broader, the foot still fits into the foot, but not right to the toe. This then causes the boot to twist.

I don't find growth a problem tbh, as long as it is normal shaped growth. If the boots are excessively tight (read, issues getting them on even with the twist technique, and you end up forcing them) then you'd have problems with them fitting towards end of trim but tbh if that were the case I'd be using the next half size up and adding a power strap if needed...

Backfeet of my lad are easier shape and more normal. I could have got 2.5's for his backfeet but I felt it was too much of a battle for that size, and so went with the 3's with powerstraps. Now one of his backfeet is actually quite contracted compared to the other and on reflection I perhaps should have gone for odd sized boots for the back instead of a pair of 3's, BUT despite being on the larger side for fit, because the shape is still good, the boots have never shifted on either back foot (I use powerstraps on them right from start though). He paces as well as trot/canter/gallop, and pace seems to REALLY test the front boot fit (even if the fronts are okay in gallop, they might move in pace if the flare is there just a little). The backs even on loose side have never budged even a tiny bit even in pace, or jumping.

So I think really the biggest issue to me is the right shape: I think you can sometimes get away with a less tight fit if the feet fit the shape of the boot. My problems with the front feet are not boot fault designs, but more an issue of me keeping up with the flare of a horses hooves early in transition. However I must say, I'd be tempted to go for the wide version if it had been out (coming soon apparently! as are size 3.5's and 4's) for lance's fronts.
However I'm going to give it another month but then I think I will sell my 3's from lance's front: not because of the not being quite straight forward but because his front feet are so much better now they rarely need them :D

So yea, hope that qualifies what I meant a little more :)

Now I know!! Yes, I had some of the older type ones that looked a bit nasty with the metal teeth that gripped the hoof when the wire was pulled into place (this is about 20 years ago!!) They look MUCH more comfortable!

They sound like the original easyboots? the metal teeth grip the boot rather than the hoof, but yea with a wire running through to tighten the fit?

They're still sold I think :)

I have a cheaper equivelant from years and years ago too :D

Thanks ever so much for that snowball and Peaches,very much apprecite you both taking the time to write such detailed replies:)

So what I'm getting is that due to the width of the foot,the boots will fit across way's,but the toe might not quite reach the end of the boot (bit like if we wear pointy toed shoes??),therefore creating a space,and perhaps causing the twisting?? Then when the hoof grows,and get a bit of flare this makes the problem worse,as the foot get's even wider?? Well that does make sense if so,guess the answer would be to try and really keep on top of trimming and try and keep the hoof the same size at all times??

I guess the wide fit boot would be the answer,id there any more info on when that comes out??
Mind you I had the wide fit renegade boots and still had the same problem,which we put down to his slightly toe in action,as only ever occured on the one foot,but maybe it was partly this and partly what you mention,as I have noticed the foot that the boot twists on is slightly odd shaped,as in not symetrical each side,is wider (more flare) on one side of foot than the other (my trimmer is aware of this,and has tried to correct it,but grew so fat in the summer that was a bit like fighting a losing battle,maybe will be bit better now growth has slowed),so perhaps was not fitting in the boot correctly.

Well I will persevere with them for now,I'm a little worried about the design of them,really don't like the little ledge bit inside the boot,where the heel bulb sits.My lad has very soft heel bulbs and was quite flinchy when I removed the boot and pressed on his heel bulbs,so am hoping they are not causing discomfort,seems like that design could be uncomfortable,a no 'seam' design would have been better I would have thought??

Are the ones you mean persevering with the gloves? If the heel of the boot base (where the hard part on the boot finished and becomes gaiter instead?) is pressing on your boys bulbs, I'd say either the boot is too short, or the foot isn't going into the boot properly? Is this possible...? The fit around the hoof should be snug, and against the hoof wall in particular, but it shouldn't be pressing the bulbs I don't think.

Not sure on when the wide fits are coming out: Trelawne (EP suppliers I think)/Saddlery Shop would advise you on that though :)

If the horse has the right shape of foot for this style of boot in an ideal world, the toe will fit right to the toe of the boot no problems. It's only if round that they may not. I think even if they are round most people could go up a size, meaning the toe could move forwards as there is more width for the broadest part of the foot if this makes sense? I couldn't, as Lance was already in the size 3's which is as big as they are currently sold. TBH I was one of those people having to compromise: the fit isn't strictly right on lance's fronts, and the old macs would have been better. HOWEVER I didn't feel they were an option due to my horses very close movement: I really am not happy with something clumpier as I think he would spend all his time bashing himself :( For a less than ideal fit, and a boot with no hardware, the glove has really done exceptionally well!

If your trimmer is happy and knows the boots I imagine they'll be okay? If it's the gloves you're trying at the moment, how are they going so far?

Thanks again for the reply Peaches:)

Sorry for not being clear:eek:,yes it is gloves that I will be persevering with.I do like the design of them mostly,like you say they are far lighter than other boots,I like the fact they are less 'clumpy'.My lad like yours has a close action,especially with the slight toe in problem,so less clumpy the better from that point of view.I'm just not sure I like the design on the back where the boot meets the gaiter,am worried a hard edge like that would have the potential to rub?? Although I'm guessing loads of people must have them with no problems like this,so maybe not.

Sorry again for not being clear about the heel bulbs things.His heel bulbs weren't under this 'ledge' I don't think,they were resting just on the top of it,which is where they are supposed to be trimmer said,at least they appeared to be from what I could see and feel,is quite hard to tell once the boots are on as they are so snug!!
However when I took them off,and checked his heels generally for any signs of rubbing,he flinched when I pressed on his heel bulbs,so I was wondering if perhaps the boots had moved or something whilst wearing them and the ledge bit had somehow been catching or pressing on his heel bulbs?? Then again I am the worlds worst worry wart when it comes to feet and hoofboots,just an after effect of having had so many probs getting him comfortable with his feet I think,so could just be me finding things to worry about:eek:
I was convinced though about halfway through our first ride wearing them,that his stride altered and he seemed uncomfortable,so this with the seemingly tender heel bulbs I guess made me think that somehow they were proving uncomfortable,but again it could have been me over-reacting because I am so used to having things being 'not quite right' with feet and boots in general,so am always expecting problems:eek:

I *think* I had them on correctly (I do find them quite tricky to get on and off at the mo),but next time I will spend more time checking this,as could have been the issue I suppose if they weren't quite on right??

I see exactly what you mean about the whole size and width thing,and I think from reading what you have written you are right in terms of my lad,he certainly seems to have on that one foot,a shape where the width fits but the toe not quite as well.Like your lad though he is in the size 3,so no option to go up a size for me either.Maybe my trimmer and I will just have to carry on working on altering the shape of the foot slighty in regards to width,and address that slight flare that makes the foot not quite the right shape,now that growth has slowed down it should be easier to manage,and perhaps that will help with the fit.

Oh dear what a palava eh,and people think us barefoot folk choose to go without metal shoes because it's easier and cheaper lol:p

Last edited:
Hmmm I'm still not quite sure I like the sound of the fit of bulbs sitting on that ledge :eek: I'm trying to imagine how mine fit now, but it's difficult without it in front of you isn't it lol?!

I'll take a look and maybe some photo's of my boots on his hind feet which fit good.

I know my boy's bulbs aren't sore...it does sound a bit suspect though :eek:

Have you tried twisting the boots on? I find a little twist action shuffles them on much easier than straight :D Just got to then make sure it's straight when you finish...

I want to make a point here mind: these gloves are the ONLY boot I have any experience of - I'm NO expert by any means ;)!

Oh well, good luck with them :D

Hmmm I'm still not quite sure I like the sound of the fit of bulbs sitting on that ledge :eek: I'm trying to imagine how mine fit now, but it's difficult without it in front of you isn't it lol?!

I'll take a look and maybe some photo's of my boots on his hind feet which fit good.

I know my boy's bulbs aren't sore...it does sound a bit suspect though :eek:

Have you tried twisting the boots on? I find a little twist action shuffles them on much easier than straight :D Just got to then make sure it's straight when you finish...

I want to make a point here mind: these gloves are the ONLY boot I have any experience of - I'm NO expert by any means ;)!

Oh well, good luck with them :D

If you wouldn't mind taking pics hun that would be fab,and if I remember to take the camera I will do the same (I am notoriously un-organised and scatty though so don't hold your breath lol:eek::p).

I am probably not describing it well,and maybe the fit is fine,but like you I am a bit suspect about it,although I could of course not be getting them on 100% right which of course wouldn't help with the fit!!

I will try the wiggling thing when putting them on next time,must admit I do struggle to get them on,and do worry I haven't done it quite right,but they did *seem* to be on ok.

No problem about not being an expert hun,I'm not either.Have tried one other type of boot,but that doesn't help me with these at all,and as far as the gloves are concerned I know next to nothing so you are more of an expert than me!!

TBH having had the renegades might be part of the problem for me,they were so easy to put on and know they were on right,and also no chance of rubbing etc due to design (encapsulated the whole heel with a flexible part,and was thickly neoprene lined),I guess I didn't have anything to worry about,so having to think about and get used to something new is probably just freaking me out a little:eek: Am sure will get on better with the gloves,once have gotten used to them and know what to look out for etc:)

newrider.com