Glad I have rugs for once

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Off to the field in stinging wind and rain to find both boys in the shelter, huddled up and shivering with their tails between their legs.

Out with the rugs! Fleece cooler on Mattie, cotton cooler on Ziggy, HAY and more hay. Horses' breakfast. Close shelter gates.

Poo pick field in stinging wind and rain (I actually rather enjoyed this bit, it has been too dry for too long down here).

Return to shelter. Horses dried off, warm, noses embedded in hay.

Remove sodden coolers and replace with rain sheets. Open gates.

Job done! But I was glad I had the rugs.

Bless them, I often find this time of year can be a real shock for the horses when it suddenly turns, its the only time I have even found Hank shivering (when I hadn't clipped him) as he had shedded out his winter coat and then it got chilly and hammered down and he stood out in it shivering :rolleyes: I'm a mean mummy though, I took Jess' fly rug off and left them both out in it naked :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Weather is horrid here too. Belle was grazing happily this morning while all the others out were in their shelters. She is like 'rain? What rain?' But then she is an Austrian mountain horse.
Me, I've just got soaked going shopping and have had to put the heating on! In June!

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
horrid up here too but not that cold really - i have the farrier coming this morning and brought skye in in her fly rug and she’s shaking from head to foot so now wrapped in a cosy fleece. Wuss.

Yes i always have my in case rugs. We had that weather yesterday and they were all in group at the bottom of the hill.
Mine was still munching.

Poor Zi is such a softy!!! Bit of rain and he comes and "asks" for his rug bless. We popped it on him last night and I am glad because he really is thin skinned. He looks happy immediately once it's on! The girsl are well 'ard and are both sniggering at him.......:p:D
But we are set to get some pretty torrential stuff later here, so I have munch blocks at the ready and have laid extra bedmax in the byre. Zi has his own little house (well it's not that little really cos he is quite tall) and I've made him a good bed too. They were out all last night so a bit of time in with the barn cat (she's not daft:p) won't do any harm:)

Reactions: joellie and Jessey
Weather is horrid here too. Belle was grazing happily this morning while all the others out were in their shelters. She is like 'rain? What rain?' But then she is an Austrian mountain horse.
Me, I've just got soaked going shopping and have had to put the heating on! In June!

Hahaha my old girls are sniggering slightly at Zi, Storm positvely sneered at me when she saw his rug coming !!! She really doesn't mind much weather wise.

Reactions: Jessey
It depends on your location, grazing and the animal.
We just moved over to the summer field. Lots of grass but exposed. Think edge of cliff exposed. But we have lots of the green stuff so they are warm.

Yep definitely depends upon the animal I think. Mine has been in all winter and just out for the last two months and he's not bothered one iota by the bad weather this week. Looks quite clean as well hehe!!

Yep definitely depends upon the animal I think. Mine has been in all winter and just out for the last two months and he's not bothered one iota by the bad weather this week. Looks quite clean as well hehe!!

Ziggy would probably have been ok, I was just being soft with him, but Mattie is a thin coated, thin skinned Arab and prone to rain scald so needs wrapping up when the weather turns.

well skye is back out in a combo LW, its disgusting out there and for a highland she is very think skinned! Foaly and his mum on the other hand are absolutely fine, he is practically jumping in the puddles!

Well my day has largely consisted of doing the herd's bidding - that means back and forth with fodder and water!lol I am glad they don't stay in much. Today though they really have voted with their hooves and in the spirit of saving madam's leg (don't want any running about back to the gate in mud etc) they are indoors. I'm trying to make things interesting for them and feeding little and often. It really is coming down hard today though, I'm on my third pair of jeans:eek:just walking the few steps from the house to byre and muck heap.
Anyone actually got dry weather????!!! Pls send us some!

Its been really hoolying here all day, and I feel like a really mean mum as both ponies were shivering slightly and jess was extremely angry, she can cope with restricted food when she's warm but add cool and wet and boy oh boy o_O So I've put hay out and put rainsheets on in June :eek:

Well I'm going to offer mine out - but I think I know what reaction I'll get.....Zi is firmly ensconsed in his house and the girls haven't looked out all afternoon....

Its been really hoolying here all day, and I feel like a really mean mum as both ponies were shivering slightly and jess was extremely angry, she can cope with restricted food when she's warm but add cool and wet and boy oh boy o_O So I've put hay out and put rainsheets on in June :eek:

Oh dear! Storm can get a bit cross and wet too. The paddock mine were in is very much eaten down and I was going to extend it but yesterday upon walking it checking for rabbit holes found a curlew nest so must not disturb that and need to fence that bit out. Hopefully tomorrow they'll be happier when I've sorted that even if it is still pretty rough weather. Hope both yours are happier with their sheets on:)

Reactions: Jessey
Just visited and they didn't even finish their hay! I'm going to leave Ziggy's rug on overnight because I have a lesson tomorrow and I know what he will do if I take it off...

I popped rugs on last night, they were wet when I put them on but it rained all night so I'm glad I put them on. Its been horrendous again today. Its going to be horrid on thursday as well so I'm leaving them on this week.

I popped Kia's on last night as this was forecast, so he was happy in his rug today whilst the unrugged horse stood looked downright miserable, we still don't have amazing growth in the grass in the field yet so they are having to work harder for it.

With Kia being older now he doesn't keep condition well, he's never been a good doer anyway but I tend to rug at ththe first sniff of rain these days.

newrider.com