Giving Inner Mucular shots

alliecatalex

Aug 29, 2004
Washington (USA)
Visit site
I know you give inner muscular shots in the muscle...for example the butt....but my vet said that you can give them in some part of the neck. I am not quite sure where in the neck....does anyone know where else you can give them? Or where in the neck you do give them. I have to give them to my horse once every 12 hours and I need to switch the places around so he doesent get too sore in one place! Thanks

There is a large triangular muscle in the neck. The muscle is found between the crest of the neck, the crease at the shoulder, and the thick area along the lower outline of the neck. You can give an injection anywhere in there. When giving an instramuscular injection, you should always pull the plunger on the syringe backwards first; if you get any blood, pull back out an stick the needle in somewhere else. What you should get when you pull the plunger is nothing :) and it should be hard to pull the plunger (like there is nothing to draw into the syringe).

Be sure to avoid that thick area along the *bottom* of the neck. That's where the neck vertebrae are. At the very bottom of the neck is a more thin area, which is the throat. Just above that is a much thicker area, which is the vertebrae. The muscle that's good to use for injections is above that.

newrider.com