girth sleeves?

Sooty

Oct 1, 2002
Wiltshire, UK
Visit site
Hi all

I'd be grateful for any advice regarding these. Do you use one? Do they actually make the girth more comfortable?

I was thinking perhaps one of those furry ones would help to absorb the sweat?

cheers :)

Never used one, but I think they are amazing! They make the girth more comfy.

I suppose they're also good for horses with sensitive bellies. :)

Rio can be a bit girthy sometimes so I use a prolite girth sleeve on one of my girths, definitely seems to help, and spreads the pressure over a wider area, so more comfortable for her.

I use a sheepskin one as Miranda has sweetitch and can sometimes get a bit hairless:rolleyes: in that area as she manages to get down and rub her belly on the ground, which then leads to casual observers reporting her to the stable office as cast and they say 'is it a black horse?' - It's just Miranda scratching her belly on the ground:D :D :D

Funnily enough her sweetitch seems to be worse at the moment than it has been all year!!!!!!!!

I use a prolite girth sleeve also. Originally started using it as Bebe got a bit girthy when we switched to a dressage girth after using a GP with her old saddle (she wasn't usually girthy). It's great, she's happier and doesn't even seem to notice being girthed up and as Yann said, it disperses the pressure over a wider area. It can be machine washed, dries quickly and comes up like new everytime.

newrider.com