Ginger is not himself ... so long post but with a picture

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
It has been a bit of a nightmare since Edward come home on the accommodation front.

Peanut was in with ginger and Edward went out with the mixed herd riding school horses. This seemed to work nicely until I went to fetch him in and it took 1 hour and 40 minutes with a helper to catch him. It turned out that the riding school groom had shoo him away by waving a headcollar at him and yelling (she has a very high pitched voice) which scared him ( she has upset a lot of livery horses)

Any way I moved him in with the other two right away as they all get on. However, our fields are tiny and peanut has no teeth being feed twice a day plus lots of hay but she can’t really eat the hay. Had her in grooming when YO stopped to chat I said I was worried about her weight as I had no grass. She kindly offered one of the large fields out the very back I put Edward and peanut in as technically Edward is on grass lively.

So they have been like this for two weeks and since then ginger has gone flat.

The other two are quite happy in the large field but ginger is just not himself. He had not got upset of ran around just lacking energy. He is also on two large feeds plus hay morning and night. Out 24/7 with horses next to him and the herd as well.

If I move Edward back I have to start paying for extra hay 6.95 a small bale here and peanut would return to the YO to go out with the pony herd. I would miss her but would still be able to bring in check and groom.

Edward is not meant to cost me any livery until Jun. So I would be increasing my cost two fold, plus if the weather turns again I don’t have a stable for him so both would have to stay out which would destroy my field and Edward had not been left alone in the field yet as he has always had peanut. So I couldn’t bring ginger in even to ride him. 00B02C23-7257-40BC-9706-B2C6C51283E7.jpegNow is not the time to training him to be on his own as he would tear the place apart.

I am literally losing sleep over it. In June when Edward has been fully paid for he moves off grass livery on to normal so would be going back with ginger and peanut was returning to the YO and I would start the separation process then.

Argggg so stressed I can’t bear to see ginger so down or is it a virus. Do I give it another week to see if he picks up. Nothing is making him happy not hacking, pole work or jumping which he normal loves

Cookies and wine is you read all that and understood any of it

Are all his vitals normal?

Can he not go in the big field too with the others?

Are all his vitals normal?

Can he not go in the big field too with the others?
Yes Ale he is completely normal. No our yard is pretty weird. I pay an extra £70 a month per field for my two extra ones. The field the other two are in are owned by the yard and are currently being rested ready for the riding school ponies to go in

Yes Ale he is completely normal. No our yard is pretty weird. I pay an extra £70 a month per field for my two extra ones. The field the other two are in are owned by the yard and are currently being rested ready for the riding school ponies to go in
Hopefully others can give you some advice, perhaps ring the vets and just mention but he could just be adjusting.

What a headache, my first thought was the same as @Ale but that's not an option, could you put the boys together and put Edward in Gingers box while you ride? That doesn't solve the extra cost issues though. Has YO spoken with the scary groom?

Can't you move Ginger into the big field with the other 2? If not, could you have the other 2 out during the day with Ginger in the small field, and then bring Ginger in overnight while the other 2 go out in the big field with grass overnight?

I just has another thought about this, could he just be tired? Maybe he was using one of the others as watchman whilst sleeping and it's taking him time to trust the other horses to sleep as well? Is he still laying down in the field?

I'm also feeling that Ginger is missing his regular companions. He's a sensitive soul. Could there be a solution that allows him to be with them for part of the day?

So sorry you are having this heartache.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I don't know if it would be of any use, but I had a similar problem with Ramsey, in the early days. He was just so down, and seemed to be left out of the little herd at that time. In desperation I had a homeopathic vet out. I cannot for the life of me remember what she prescribed, but it was nothing short of miraculous. Everyone at the yard was stunned at the change, within a week. Even the most sceptical person there was impressed. It's a shot in the dark really, but I thought I'd mention it.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
newrider.com