Ghost saddles

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Does anyone have any experience with them or know much about them? I quite like the idea and lots of reviews I have seen have been really positive so just wondered if anyone knew anything good or bad about them.

I know a lady with one and loves it.
I haven’t bought to try it because anything I have bought for madam I actually wanted to keep. She likes the two types I have, phew :)

Reactions: Jessey
I used to have one for Moet. I had it for about a year. Found it very comfortable and Moet went well in it. I changed back to a treed saddle eventually as I wanted a more traditional feel/look.

I'd consider buying one again if I was in the market for a treeless saddle though.

Julie did you ever have any issues of pressure points from the girth or stirrup rigging. I have a treeless I like but do notice pressure points after about an hours riding in it.

I googled them too. Look very interesting and I really quite fancy trying one. The website is a bit scant on information though, not impressed!

Things I didn't like were not being able to work out how the girth is attached - in some pictures it looks as though it sits on the horse's side and I had problems with the humane girth because Raf didn't seem to like the pressure where the D ring sat against him, plus on one type his skin got pinched where the two upper straps met at the D, so I'd be worried that it might be the same sort of arrangement on the Ghost.

Also, can't work out how the stirrups sit - in a way the saddles look a bit like bareback pads with extra padding and I thought it was bad to attach stirrups to a bareback pad. Also they're closed ring which always worries me for safety reasons.

The other thing was that pad thing - is that part of the saddle? Does it attach to it?

In my search I came across a few threads on H&H, one of which mentioned dry patches under the stirrup bars, but I think that lady was happy with the saddle overall. And another lady did an 80k ride in hers and thought it was great.

So I can understand why you're asking for opinions, because there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of info on the website and trial periods are only for a week. I'd really like to know more about them though, so I'd be quite happy if you decided to get one and test it out for us! :)

I just looked at the website and am very interested to learn more. But I have a lot of questions about them. I was pleased to see they are also sold in the U.S. and that endurance riders are using them. It doesn't look like there is much to them so maybe a good choice for my short backed 12.1 hand pony. The price seems comparable to or a little cheaper than Barefoot.

I'd really like to get my hands on one to look at, but I really can't be buying anything that has pressure points, already got one like that ;)

Just because someone might have had issues with a saddle, doesn't mean you might.
It could simply be unsuited to how they ride, or not fitted properly.

Have you looked at the Strada? Friend has one for endurance.
http://stradasaddles.co.uk/

They look nice, I'm really thinking of another treeless to replace the DT, preferably one that doesn't have the bar pressure issue and with fenders added I could get away with using in low level western shows :)

I didn't remember having any pressure issues with the Ghost - but if im totally honest I was barely really doing much with Moet then as my confidence was so low. I was only really lightly schooling her in it and doing a few short hacks a week (with only really 1 short canter in the hack). I changed from the Ghost to the HM Fhoenix, and as my confidence grew and my hacks increased in length and pace we struggled with pressure points with the Fhoenix so I went back to a treed saddle and not had saddle problems ever since.

I cant remember the Ghost exceptionally well, but I do remember having a faff with the saddle pads and also needed to modify a prolite girth sleeve to put on the girth straps to stop them rubbing Moets sides.

Have you looked at Sensations? I have no experience but they seem to get a lot of positive comments on forums. No_Angel recommended them to me while I was searching but I tried a Solution first and settled on that as I liked the traditional appearance (and it seemed to suit Raf, obviously).

Have you looked at Sensations? I have no experience but they seem to get a lot of positive comments on forums. No_Angel recommended them to me while I was searching but I tried a Solution first and settled on that as I liked the traditional appearance (and it seemed to suit Raf, obviously).
I'd love one, not sure I can justify that kind of money on a second saddle though :( one day!

newrider.com