Getting used to a new horse

Anni

Aug 25, 2019
Hey, so my trainer wants me to start training with a 4 year old mare but the problem for me is that for all of her life she has only been handled and ridden by one person. I’ve had 2 trainings with her so we’re just getting used to one another but she just doesn’t listen to me at all. She’s pretty okay in walk and trot but when i ask her to stand still she just won’t listen or will start backing up. And in canter she’ll just run away and I can’t control her speed. Does anyone have any advice on how i could train her to get used to me and be more relaxed when i ride her?

When was she backed?

I would have thought she's as green as you are. She's only just starting her education.
Your trainer is the most likely person I would be asking for advice here. But I suspect the canter is unbalanced and she's giving the appearance of running off when in fact she's on the forehand and can't do much else.

Reactions: carthorse
If she's only 4, she's bound to be unbalanced - she's still got growing to do.

Ask the trainer really -
If I was offered a 4 year old to ride I would start with lots of ground work. Leading to train walk and halt - But that is just my choice - have just been to a Kit Maynard clinic and almost everything starts by being taught from the ground.

Again, talk to your trainer. I have to say this does sound like green on green which is seldom a good idea, did your trainer say why she wanted you to start having your lessons on this horse? I agree with @newforest that the canter sounds like she's unbalanced and running on rather than running off, if your trainer wants you to carry on riding this mare she needs to explain and show you how to help balance her. The halt I'd wonder if you're inadvertently keeping too much leg &/or rein on.

newrider.com