Getting tradespeople?

selside

Jul 1, 2010
Yorkshire Dales
We've just moved about 270 miles from where we used to live, and need to have the kitchen re-wired. Has anyone ever used an on-line firm to get quotes through? (MyBuilder, Ratedpeople, etc) We don't know anyone locally, Any experiences welcome. I'm a bit worried about getting pestered by tradesmen and showered with quotes.
Otherwise it's Yell.com and a pin!.

Argh so difficult somestimes isn't it? I've gone by word of mouth and recommendations since moving up here. Where we came from it could be very hit and miss - despite running a business ourselves that from time to time we needed to hire plumbers, electricians etc (we kissed a lot of frogs over 17 years:rolleyes:). I don't think I have used the rated people thing. One thing we did do back at our old home was use one of those online sites where people tender for the job. We needed someone to ship several large van fulls of new equipment to customers - never again:eek:the guy who came with good feedback and who gave us a great price did one job and then stopped picking the phone up. And we stupidly paid him up front:mad:so we lost our fee and had to apologise to our customers for late delivery. Guess the moral of that one is to not trust everything you read online:oops:

@selside just mentioned to Mr T, for re wiring make sure you pick someone with nicecs registration as it does lend weight to them being reliable as you have to be registered with their organisation and it does mean they are fully qualified etc and insured.

I would pop in the local shop, school or pub and ask for recommendations :D I hate being pestered by sales people so prefer not to give out my details if I can help it :)

We asked the guy who did our aerial and he has mentioned it to a sparky buddy. But that was weeks ago and still haven't turned up, I think I'm just impatient to get started. The kitchen has been sitting in the conservatory since Jan 2nd!. We have good friends here, but it took them ages to get anyone and then years to get the work finished.

Thanks, Mrs T. Oddly enough I've just got a list of names from theNMICECS website and am about to hit the phones.

Annoyingly OH could easily do it himself (years of experience in hospital maintenance) but regulations mean you can't work on kitchen electrics anymore. Plus we need the work to be Part P certified and guaranteed to avoid issues when we sell in the future. Wish me luck!.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
If you are a FB person, try searching for local groups for your town or new area. Then you can ask for recommendations.

If you are a FB person, try searching for local groups for your town or new area. Then you can ask for recommendations.
Yes I'm on a local FB group and you see it all the time people asking for recommendations for work like plumbing etc. Then just cross reference them with your list you've just acquired.

Thanks all. I've made some progress today. 2 people are coming tomorrow to take a look at the job. Will take a look at checkatrade - thanks. And FB though not on many groups in Pembrokeshire yet (apart from the equine ones, natch.)

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com