Getting there slowly, another solo hack today - well, a proper one!

Nicnac

Jan 2, 2008
Devon
Hi everyone

I haven't posted much in the last couple of weeks, as have had a lot of stuff going on personally (mainly to do with 'ex' and moving house), but my lovely star of a girl has been helping me through it all, giving me a reason to get up and get through the week if I'm honest.

Anyway, just wanted to share with you (and especially Cleanboots ;)) that I plucked up courage to go for my second solo hack ever this evening - this time a proper one and Tia was an absolutely angel. I did upset all the wildlife in the area, though, with my repeat renditions of 'Suspicious Minds', but apart from that we had a lovely long steady canter, a couple of small 'ooh, mum what's that?' moments, but she really was a star.

I am just on Cloud 9 as I have had my confidence severely knocked by personal relationship stuff, and luckily have managed to keep it away from riding Tia, most of the time, we're even getting on better in the school, but the hack today was just perfect really.

Pointless post, just wanted to share and apologise for not being around! I always feel awful if I don't reply to people's threads for a few weeks! (Sad, I know).

Glad that you are able to get out on a ride and forget all the personal stuff for a while :) It is amazing how you can gain confidence and really start to enjoy riding.

I have been riding Frayne more regularly and I can now take her in a sand school (which used to be her cue to do a bronco act :eek:). We mainly walk, but I did a few short trots yesterday. May not sound much to most, but a big achievement for us. I also attempted to ride along a grass track on the edge of one of our larger fields (again, this used to be impossible, even leading her). She did a few yards and then got worried (she goes into fast reverse), so I dismounted and led her along the rest of it. Next time I am sure we can go further mounted :)

Ali xx

Glad that you are able to get out on a ride and forget all the personal stuff for a while :) It is amazing how you can gain confidence and really start to enjoy riding.

I have been riding Frayne more regularly and I can now take her in a sand school (which used to be her cue to do a bronco act :eek:). We mainly walk, but I did a few short trots yesterday. May not sound much to most, but a big achievement for us. I also attempted to ride along a grass track on the edge of one of our larger fields (again, this used to be impossible, even leading her). She did a few yards and then got worried (she goes into fast reverse), so I dismounted and led her along the rest of it. Next time I am sure we can go further mounted :)

Ali xx

Well done you too. They don't seem small things to me at all, even a little breakthrough is brilliant! Baby steps are better than no steps at all, even if it takes years to achieve them!

Thanks all for your comments - yes, think the wildlife will stick grass in their ears the next time I'm our riding alone! Don't think Tia knew what to make of it, her ears were twitching all over the place initially lol! :D:eek:

Well done you its awful when you lose confidence even outside riding so its brill you are riding out just you and your horse chilling best therapy ever;)

Well done you its awful when you lose confidence even outside riding so its brill you are riding out just you and your horse chilling best therapy ever;)

Thank you, do you know it so is, I am starting to really enjoy our time together, just Tia and I. Was a bit scared initially and clearly my singing shows I'm still a bit nervy, but I absolutely loved it! Have to go a bit further next time, my aim for the next few weeks is to go for a good hour into the woods by ourselves. My RI took her in there the other day, said she was perfectly behaved, so I've nothing to be scared of to be honest! (Still, just can't quite switch off yet!)

That's great news - well done to you and Tia:D Dont push yourself though - if you make it to the woods for an hour then that's great but if you dont, then dont beat yourself up about it.

Absloutely fantastic Darling xxxxx
I am so so proud of you!

I told you that you could do, did you have a positive frame of mind before you rode? I bet you are over the moon, it's a great feeling when you get your confidence rising.
I do hope you are going to keep this up now?

Each time, have a couple of canters, and when you get a 'spook' praise yourself for handling it well.

I am really chuffed Nicnac xx:D

Absloutely fantastic Darling xxxxx
I am so so proud of you!

I told you that you could do, did you have a positive frame of mind before you rode? I bet you are over the moon, it's a great feeling when you get your confidence rising.
I do hope you are going to keep this up now?

Each time, have a couple of canters, and when you get a 'spook' praise yourself for handling it well.

I am really chuffed Nicnac xx:D

Aww thank you hun! Yes and did another last night too (pics attached), just got on and rode. She didn't spook at anything last night, she was sooo well-behaved even though she was very hot. Going to try a longer one next weekend as my riding partner is away so it gives me an excuse to go out and about! xx

For anyone interested, pics attached of our little route round...

2vt1bg8.jpg

2ih3y2v.jpg

1220ufr.jpg

25f62c8.jpg

97ljyf.jpg

and very tired ponio at the end...(I look quite large in this photo, think it is a bad angle lol!)...pls excuse her fat tummy and neck muscles, we are working on these and she has stuffed her face with spring grass for the last few weeks!
11rajx2.jpg

Aww NicNac, pretty ponio and YAY for more confidence and using the pony to escape 'real life'. I used to love it when I had a bad day at the office, a nice plod round and groom on my share horse worked wonders!

I got a little teary reading that you must be so proud, maybe one day I will join the solo hack club.:)

Awww, thank you...and I'm sure you will ;) I started with ten - twenty mins around the pony track on the farm which is an area that Tia knows really well and we can see people and horses everywhere :)

Beautiful hacking route - I'm v jealous :)

Lovely pics of Tia - well done on the lonesome hack :D

newrider.com