Getting them used to showing?

oinkmoooink

Mar 26, 2008
How do you do this, other than taking them out every weekend?
my section B, he has been doing driving trials, and even goig abroad for the passt 5 years, before that he was a pony club pony, but i dontm know much of what he did then.
However, took him to our first show together yesturday, in hand. He was hell, i tihnk partially because he became best friends with my shetaldn, so was really naughty when they were both in the ring, and really naughty if she wasnt there! He got really nervous too and got ppoo all over himself ( old owners have said to give him immodine or somthing though so that should be sorted).
However, as he was so nervy (which was mostly to do with him having a friend there, in future we will go alone), he reared up properly 4 times, kicked out at the judge (he doesnt usually kick so we didnt have a red ribbon) and tried to scratch his bum against the wall!
In the one class he behaved in we came second (almost first but he stiffened up) but he was so het up, he was acting like a stallion, all huis muscles up, so so strong, trotting on the spot, actually looking quite impressive :)
But we really need to sort it out! We qualified for the royal london, and i would like to take him, but we need this sorted,and on the poff chance we qualify for the evening perfomances i can see him being awful with all the music and spotlights- were gonna get him used to music, but cant tihnk of how to do it with spot lights.
Do you have any ideas how we an work on it at home? he normally stands quite nicely at home , but you cant tell them off at shows, so he tihnks he can get away with it. Its a bit of a pain, because he might have done quitw well if he had behaved.
But any ideas would be really good!, thankyou

go to a small show (that doesnt matter, a livery yard or similar) and when he does play up tell him off. i mean a slap across the ar$e or on nose, just come down on him like a ton of bricks. he doesnt 'know' its a little show so will think, "bugger im not going to do that again!" and you will have made that line he cant cross, because he has a consequence.

or if you make a mock up show (between friends or people on your yard), make the judge someone he doesnt know but you do, and if he kicks out get them to kick him back.

some people might not agree but you have got to nip it in the bud, and you cant just turn him in a circle or 'ignore' it because its bad manners (and ultimately dangerous!) towards other competitors and judge.

you might only have to do it once (or perhaps twice) before he realises you mean business.

I agree w/xloopylozzax, establish the line and don't let up. The mock show is a very good idea. We used to have everyone stand around and talk while we ride, clap, hoot n holler, and make lots of noise like at a show. It gets them used to all the activity.

I completly agree with giving him a slap! A mock show sounds good, but its only after travelling really i think that hes silly, hes going a bit frantic now because one of his friends is in the stable instead of with him, so i could do it with that sort of situation.
I just had a chat with my RI, she said giving a good slap on the leg properly just once should stop it, and they should see you as being professional, rather than giving him a light slap thwe whole time so i might do that. I wasnt expecting the show to hve as many people as it did!

newrider.com