Getting rid of my love handles!! Not O/T!

Monty

Nov 16, 2001
On a farm
Visit site
Didn't know where to put this thread since the general forum has gone, but there we go....

Some of you will know that due to the devastating effects of a negligent operation four years ago, I have piled on the weight, due to a combination of much reduced mobility and comfort eating, at a ratio of about 30/70 !!

Kate, my young helper with Rubi recently lost 3 1/2 stone, and persuaded me onto the same eating program, which I compromised with her, and said, I would do it, but online, and not by going to group with her. That was 16 weeks ago. I have lost very nearly two stone, and am feeling great. I'd put on a stone and a half, but was overweight before hand. Til now have borrowing a rather nice tweed jacket to compete in, from a friend. But she's a much taller girl, who is naturally bigger framed, and it did look a little strange though adequate for local competition.

Well, the heat is now being turned up, and I've just tried my expensive, lovely back dressage jacket on. It's a size 18, but has been professionally altered, having the sleeves shortened, waist pulled in a little, and length of jacket shortened. It was a gorgeous fit before appendages I never had before, appeared. I have the lovehandles!! :eek:The podgy bit on either side, above my hips/buttocks,and slightly to the side, and well below my waist. It gives the jacket a comical look. The vents gape a bit, and makes the buttons at the waist exaggerate my still rather plump waist. I can sit in the jacket fine, and it doesn't pull, but it looks odd.... I have a broad shoulders and a somewhat abnormally short/square broad back. That's why I had to nip and tuck a bigger jacket rather than alter a small one.

Does anybody here know of any exercises that might help me reduce the size of this particular area of padding,please? I never had them before, so that may suggest it's something to do with the way I walk/move about now, in which case, there may be nothing I can do about it, but if I can believe me I will. The jacket has sentimental value, and it would be a huge sense of achievement for me, and a wonderful act of defiance if I could fit into it properly again....get on Rubi and go into the dressage ring, with a very unlady like gesture in mind for a certain hospital and consultant.

That might sound really childish coming from a supposedly 'mature rider', but sometimes it's what drives me.:eek:

Any advice gratefully received.:)

yep

side leg lifts will help tone the area generally, but only cardio will burn off any fat covering the muscle.

for side leg lefts;

1. lie down on your side
  2. prop up your upper half up with your elbow (elbow and forearm to lay flay on the ground to support you.
  3. your other arm should come in front of your belly button and you hand should be using just the tips for support (using the whole palm would remove emphasis from the muscles that SHOULD be working)
  4. then....and this will be hard work until you get used to it. Raise you ankles in a sideways fashion towards your head.

I do 3 sets of 20 on each side.

Another good exercise for strenghing and tightening the muscles round the mid section - and therefore your 'core' (so good for ANY rider) is the Plank.

1. lay on your front
2. prop yourself up onto your elbows/forearms
3. balance tem on your toetips
4. hold for as long as possible and repeat 5-10 times

Sorry - theyre both killers :D

Another good exercise for strenghing and tightening the muscles round the mid section - and therefore your 'core' (so good for ANY rider) is the Plank.

1. lay on your front
2. prop yourself up onto your elbows/forearms
3. balance tem on your toetips
4. hold for as long as possible and repeat 5-10 times

A variations on this that helps your sides even more - do the Plank with one leg lifted to hip height and held straight and still. You can also do it with the leg off the ground moving forwards (bend at the hip and knee to bring your knee under you, then straighten again, repeat until you collapse :)). The next day you will feel just where you were exercising...

Spill the beenz, what prog was it?

Monty, can you manage that kind of exercise?

I'd go swimming and use a float and concentrate on using lower body to propell me through the water.

Thank you both. :rolleyes: Fancy writing an epic post like that for you, looking for help, and not telling you all the downside. I'm minus one hip joint!!:p

I'd be able to do that on the right side of me (i.e lying on left side), but I've got no active abduction, in my left leg, (or at least I haven't lying on my side)though passively it would wrap around my neck twice over!!;)

I have physio every week, which I practise at home too. I can abduct lying on my back with left leg on a sliding board, reasonably well, and with more difficulty, and less well, between bars, standing up. I've only just started that one. Is that going to be any help whatsoever?? Or can I be reasonably confident that carrying on with the diet...(OOOps! healthy eating!!), and mucking out my stable will eventually catch up with the stubborn fat bits??

My physical capacity for formal exercise is not brilliant, I'm afraid. I rely on riding and mucking out, and housework, such as I'm able, as exercise. I did try swimming, but as one leg is almost useless...my good leg just propelled me round and round in the water. I couldn't stay prone!! My daughter thought it was hysterically funny...Teenagers can be SOOOOO cruel sometimes!!! (Just kiddin!)

Thoughts please?? Thanks.

Last edited:
The podgy bit on either side, above my hips/buttocks,and slightly to the side, and well below my waist. It gives the jacket a comical look. The vents gape a bit, and makes the buttons at the waist exaggerate my still rather plump waist. I can sit in the jacket fine, and it doesn't pull, but it looks odd.... I have a broad shoulders and a somewhat abnormally short/square broad back. That's why I had to nip and tuck a bigger jacket rather than alter a small one.

If you find out how to get rid of them, please let me know. I too have a square, short back. I look OK from the front and side, but seem to have mounds of flesh round what should be my waist, from the back view. Having said that I also had these love handles when I was 19 and a size 8/10. I think its just the shape I am:rolleyes:

I did try swimming, but as one leg is almost useless...my good leg just propelled me round and round in the water. I couldn't stay prone!! My daughter thought it was hysterically funny...Teenagers can be SOOOOO cruel sometimes!!! (Just kiddin!)

Thoughts please?? Thanks.

I have nerve damage to my legs which is exaggerated when I swim/ride. Therefore I swim using only my arms & drag my legs through the water.
I now have very strong arms so I'm capable of stopping most horses ;).
Bear in mind its not always going to be easy to spot reduce - you could try swimming just with your arms, hard work at first but trust me it gets easier, and although not using your legs you are still burning calories and therefore fat as you go which will tone up the whole of your body. So dont give up on it! I also use the handbike at the gym which again burns calories & these burn fat from the whole of your body - whatever you do fat will come off all your body so long as you are burning calories!

Are you able to cycle at all? you might be able to go to the gym & use the exercise bike (but gently) as this also works that area a bit. I don't know about your personal situation as mine is to do with ankle joint not hip... but thought id suggest it anyway. Maybe do some exercises with a gym ball?

Riding (and I imagine cantering most of all) is good for burning in that area so keep on at that.
Or you could always get one of these: http://www.tradekey.com/ks-horse-riding-machine/
Apparently they are good fun!

Last edited:
newrider.com