Getting On Riding School Horses

Weekender

Oct 2, 2001
Visit site
My youngcousin tells me theres a useful.co.ukfeature in this months PONY mag abot moving up from Ponies to Horses.. It includes the commendable advice, "Don,t show off struggling on from the ground - a mounting block will savethe horse,s back"

But in my younger days, whenwe wanted a horse Riding School would say,
"you can ride it - only if you can get on it unaided from the ground"

Do they still do tgis at riding schools these days. I hope they have changed and are more considerate of the horses

Some do, some don't. At an old riding school I went to, it was about 50/50 as to whether the horse would stand at the block or not! And even then, you had a leg up unless you were on a really tiny pony. Most schools I've seen have a mounting block or some sort of thing to stand on, so I think it is becoming more uncommon!

However, I reckon people should know how anyway in case of emergency - If you have to dismount and then remount on a hack with no blocks around, for example.

I have always mounted from the ground. My RI won't let me mount from a block and for that reason we don't have any. I used to ride a 16.2hh horse and I had to get on from the ground even though i'm only 5'4" :D

Whenever she's not around I use the wall though :p

xxx

I get quite frustrated by people who can only mount from a block, as if there was an emergency when out hacking, would they just walk their horse all the way home?? I also disapprove of those who, when they have had to dismount, drag their horse across to something of suitable height to mount from, without checking it is safe. :eek: Regardless of whether you think you should be able to mount from the ground or from mouting block, you should be able to do both (and practise mouting from ground on both sides so that your horse doesn't become one-sided). I personally use a mounting block as the "norm" to avoid undue pressure and twisting of my saddle and horse's back and mount from the ground every now and again to keep in practise.

we used to use a mounting block if we were too small or struggled to get on a riding school horse (and this was about 14 years ago since i rode at an RS :D ). i always mount from a block. i ain't knackering my horses back for no good reason!! and i cannot spring off my right leg. i've a very dodgy knee joint that i will probably have to have replaced before i'm 30 so the less stress i put on it the better.

*Sez* said:
I get quite frustrated by people who can only mount from a block, as if there was an emergency when out hacking, would they just walk their horse all the way home?? I also disapprove of those who, when they have had to dismount, drag their horse across to something of suitable height to mount from, without checking it is safe. :eek: Regardless of whether you think you should be able to mount from the ground or from mouting block, you should be able to do both (and practise mouting from ground on both sides so that your horse doesn't become one-sided). I personally use a mounting block as the "norm" to avoid undue pressure and twisting of my saddle and horse's back and mount from the ground every now and again to keep in practise.

Sorry, but there are quite a few people who physically can't mount from the ground. I can't get on anything :rolleyes: . I'm sure there are people who judge a fit looking chap like myself as I "drag my horse across to something of suitable height" (which has to be darned high actually!):eek: . But after serious spinal surgery I am left with no "bounce". I can't even jump up and down on the spot, so any mounting aid which requires any sort of a "spring" from me is out I'm afraid! Ditto a "leg up". Would love to be able to spring onto a horse - but can't I'm afraid :eek:

There are lots of less fit and "older" riders on this board who probably would have difficulty mounting from the ground. I don't think it is a necessarily something one should have to do or feel bad for not being able to do.
Anyway it's better for the horses back.
If I have to dismount for any reason and there isn't a suitable place to remount from, then yes I might have to walk all the way back home!! But I can usually find something (fence, wall, farrari..............:eek: )

I also carry a "stirrup extender", which I use to help be get back on - it's great :).

Edited to say: I would be a little dubious of any riding school these days who did not provide a mounting block, or expected you to mount from the ground.

Last edited:
Another ageing granny with dodgy knees here who can't mount from the ground. I have never "dragged" my girl anywhere. I never had the opportunity to ride as a younger person and had to wait almost 50 years to get my girl. Maybe I should just sell her as I am obviously not fit to ride.....
Sorry Sez your attitude really makes me angry.

I always mount from a block or get a leg up. I will find a log or rock when out hacking. I dont want to put excess, unnecessary strain on my horses back and saddle.

At 17 (now only 18) I had a serious car accident on the dual carriageway which left me with limited movement in my back and hip - so mounting from the ground is not an option!

Both my old yard and new one use mounting blocks and old YO always stressed that there was no shame in using the block - and no point putting strain on the horses back by dragging the saddle down whilst struggling on! Ok if you are a nubile springy 16 year old, but try being a 36 year old with a bad knee cartelidge (spelt wrong) and not the most agile - then mounting block most def required!:p I can get on from the ground and have to when out hacking on new yard - but if I'm just going in the school I use the block.

I can mount from ground or block or legup, but we are told to mount from the mounting block to save the horses back...
Oh and i can vault on! :D Gymkhana exercise once :)

I can mount from the ground (16 3 horsey, me 5 7) but use a block to save the horses back and the saddle\stirrup leather. When I first took on this share horse he wouldn't stand at the block and our gate opening and closing skills needed work so I mounted from the ground. As a result one leather is noticably longer even with changing them round. I can get on from the ground if I need to but if there is a block I use it. The riding schools I have ridden at in the last few years have the same policy.

I think we have to be understanding of different levels of physical ability here!! Yup to dodgy knees, occasional dodgy back and lacking spring. If you cant find anything to stand on out hacking you can often put the horse on lower ground which makes it easier. We spend all this money on treating horses backs and getting them expensive saddles, so it seems a bit silly to put strain on them if you dont have to, apart from showing consideration to your horse.

I'm reasonably supple still for 44, but the RS horse I ride is 17hh and at 5ft2 there is no chance of me mounting from the ground - the stirrup is at the level of my chest!

I personally think mounting from the ground is essential skill that all (subject to being able to!) should try to master for emergency purposes.

However, at my RS they are quite strict about mounting from the ground, all clients are advised to use a block, some riders are allowed to mount to the ground but it depends on the instructors judgement and the horse they are mounting. On some occassions even the boucyiest of riders are not allowed to mount from the ground on certain horses and some riders are told to never mount from the ground even on the smallest of horses because of the way they mount:(

I think it depends on the rider, situation and horse :)

I use a block, I can get up from the ground but it's not hard on a 14.2 after having a 16 hander and I used to ride a 17 hander at RS. My old RS had a block and it was up to you if you used it or not.

When I started to ride, 10 years ago, I could get on most horses from the ground. Now, at age 50, it just ain't happening. I don't need a huge step, just high enough so I can get my foot in the stirrup. If I have to get off while out, yes, I'll have to walk until I can find something to elevate me enough. If I absolutely *had* to, I could probably lower the stirrup and clamber on. But that's not something I'd want to do to either myself or my horse. And you know, it's really too bad if anyone else thinks that's a problem. It's not *my* problem.

Hey Trewsers - I'm 36 with a dodgy knee too :) Actually I'm feeling really lucky because my knee is now recovering after 6 years of going downhill fast, it's just started improving and yesterday I ran a couple of steps :) I was feeling unfit because I can no longer vault onto my 15hh ponies. I can get on them, and on a 17hh we tried this weekend, from the ground, but I always, if at all possible, use a mounting block or big bucket.

I have great respect for previously injured, or aging people who are riding, living their dreams and not letting themselves be limited as far as they can. What upsets me, particularly around here, is the number of very, very overweight younger people who haul themselves up onto good horses, ride them with no feel or finesse - just kick and pull, and usually complain the horse is lazy. Lazy my ass. I think we owe it to our horses to be as good an athlete for them as we expect them to be for us. I'm not talking about slightly roundy chubby people, I'm talking about like this guy we met this weekend - 350lbs of just unfit slob hanging over the saddle front and back, hauling his fat butt into an ill-fitting saddle... not nice. The poor horse was groaning under him :(

I think, in fairness to Sez, she has as good reason to use a mounting block all the time as any, as she has limited mobility. I'd say she meant people should be able to mount from the ground.

newrider.com