Getting into the saddle!!!

MelissaH

Dec 23, 2004
Visit site
How the heck do you mount????

Okay, I know the basics....but are there exercises that I can do to strengthen whatever it is on my body that does not want to cooperate? I have a hard time getting on with a mounting block. I am also overweight, so that adds to the issue. I am working on that as well.

My husband made a good point a while ago. He said I should learn to get on without a block. He asked if I was planning to take one with me when I trail ride. Good point.

The horse I am looking to buy is 16.2 per the vet. He was not measured. But I HIGHLY doubt he's that tall. His withers come a little above my forehead. I am 5'6". I kept asking the breeder if his size was right for me? She says yes.

I need to taking a running start to get on him!

I mount western saddles easily. Put your left foot in the stirrup, grab the horn and get on up.. LoL :D

I tryed to mount my 16hh TB with a enlgish saddle with no stirrups .. I used a step but ended up falling :rolleyes:

I have not yet tried with stirrups.. But most likely I'll be using a mounting block.

trail riding tricks

Since I am 5 feet tall, I find the following invaluable when trail riding and forced to re-mount.

1. Place horse in ditch.

2. In the alternative, look for tree stumps.

3. If on level ground, make sure girth is good and tight (horse being able to breathe is optional).

4. Choose mount that doesn't mind being kicked in the rump on your way up.

5. Give up and walk home leading horse.

16.2 is the equalvant of 5'5'', so you should be one inch taller than his withers.
I am 5'5'' and can comfortabley ride anywhere between 14hh and 17.3hh depending on the horse so 16.2hh is probably not unreasonable depending on your or and horses build, if you feel comfortable that is the main thing. Personally though I am a pony person, everything is so much easier to do when they are closer to the ground!
I fully understand where you are on the mounting issue, I have problem with my hips so cannot mount from the ground, if I need to get on when I am out I have to find a convenient stump or back.

16.2hh is 5'6". So, if his withers come a little above your head and you are wearing shoes with some heel, then he's likely even taller than 16.2hh.

I'm 5'4" and feel comfortable on horses this size or larger (as well as ponies), but whether you feel that is the right size for you or not depends on your own personal preferences and experiences. If you are comfortable and feel safe riding him, then you can certainly work around the mounting issue.

It is good to mount from a block, when available, to decrease the torsion on the saddle and stress on the horse's back. But yes, it would be nice to not feel "stuck" if a block isn't available. One possibility is that you will get more efficient and agile in mounting over time. You can also try lengthening the stirrup before mounting. Or, if nothing else works, look into the stirrup extenders that are made for mounting aids.

pilates is fantastic for flexibility. i started it two years ago when i hurt my back and its done wonders. its great for weight loss aswell, i've lost well over 2 stone just doing pilates 3 times a week.

i've always been taught using a mounting block is better for the horses back(less strain) and theres no shame in using one!!! i have a knee problem which means i cannot mount from the ground and i don't have any trouble. if i come off when hacking i just have to find a wall or something to use to get back on!! :)

Originally posted by MelissaH
I have a hard time getting on with a mounting block. I am also overweight, so that adds to the issue. I am working on that as well.

My husband made a good point a while ago. He said I should learn to get on without a block. He asked if I was planning to take one with me when I trail ride. Good point.

The horse I am looking to buy is 16.2 per the vet. He was not measured. But I HIGHLY doubt he's that tall. His withers come a little above my forehead. I am 5'6". I kept asking the breeder if his size was right for me? She says yes.

It is NOT a good idea to learn to get on without a block if you have problems getting on with one, especially if you're carrying extra weight.

A heavier rider who is competent mounting is lighter on the horse than a lighter rider who isn't as competent. Put a heavier rider who has problems mounting together and it's too much strain on the horse to mount from the ground. I weigh too much too and NEVER mount from the ground. There are always natural obstacles around somewhere even if you need to walk for a while.

At 5'6" you don't NEED to buy a 16.2hh. I'm 5'4" which is 16hh, at 5'6" you're 16.2hh so it sounds like he is 16.2hh or a bit more (depending where on your forehead you're measuring from ;) ).

Have you already decided on the horse or is this just a height that you have been advised to buy? You could easily (I'm assuming that you're not morbidly obese) ride a 15.2hh or even a 15.hh chunky. That gives you 4-6 extra inches grace in the mounting department :)

CYNICAL HAT ON .... of COURSE the breeder is going to tell you that 16.2hh is the right height for you, they want to sell the horse!

Don't get me wrong I LOVE big horses, the bigger the better but I ended up buying a 15.1hh ish which is PLENTY big enough for me (though I did doubt it until I saw the video). She's only 5 and may still grow a bit more but for now it's a good height to deal with especially when she's being a moo cow.

Yes, once you've mastered mounting from a block effectively then you can do a BIT of work on mounting from the ground but I would still mount from a block wherever possible. Not only can you put pressure on a horses back you can also cause the tree of the saddle to distort if you constantly put too much pressure on it. An expensive mistake to make!

A while back there was a thread about mounting from the ground on the "mature riders" forum. Someone posted a picture of a collapsable step device made for carrying on the trail. She could get on, pull it up by the handle, fold it, and tuck into a saddlebag. It was really cute. If you search the archive, I bet you could find the post.

I tend to agree on the "don't necessarily rule out shorter horses" theory too. I don't notice the difference so much in mounting (from a block) as in dismounting. The shorter the horse, the easier on the knees :p

Grace

Hi
Im 5'5" and im on a 15.2hh stocky clydesdale cross and Im over weight
also Keep trying mounting with the mounting block if you get on from the ground it will stretch your tree , your leathers and It will strain the the horses back and can do Irrepable damage acording to our chiropracter, I work at a riding school and our number one rule is that you all ways get on from the mounting block
hope this helps
Amber

Bay mare-I only have used the block getting on. I have to work on building up muscle & confidence.

I don't think the horse in question is really 16.2, that was a guess on the vets part. The original ad says he's 15.2. Once I am in the saddle I am fine. The instructor said I had a really good seat. My balance is great.

Here is link to ad....anyone with an experienced eye? I don't know if anyone would be able to guess in relation to the trailer.

http://www.twhsalecentral.com/detail.cfm?horseid=867

eventerbabe-I have heard to pilates. I hear they were similar to calestenics in my day. I will look into them. Thanks.

Lisae-I love your post.

:D

He looks lovely! Impossible to guess his size though he does look pretty big. I think at your height you could ride such a range of horses that temprament is much more important than size. You can always get creative with mounting if he is the right horse for you.

I am 5ft 5ins and have a 16.2 horse. I am comfortable on him but have also recently ridden my sons 13hh welsh cob with surprising ease.

There is no way I can get on my horse from the ground even though he is very patient. I did buy the mounting aid thing that goes through the stirrup and that was useless, I ended up so low I couldn't get my leg over :) In the end the only way is a ditch or handy tree stump as mentioned already. I wish someone would invent a kind of pop up block for all us unfit, overweight women!

Having said all that there is something to be said for technique too. It is a real pleasure to pop up gracefully on my little pony and I have been quietly pleased to see my younger, slimmer and fitter friend not manage it!

If you're 5'6" (66") and he's the same height to his withers or taller than you then he's 16.2hh + (66").

He does look nice but there's not enough there to really make a judgement, you really need to see a horse 'in the flesh' so to speak. The pic of mine on the website is different to how she 'really' looked:

img122.jpg

Web site pic

Saffy.jpg

First day at her new home

Sorry, I wasn't saying that you were mounting from the ground but you seemed to think that your OH's idea was a good one which is why I said what I did! As I said I've got a *bit* (ok more than a bit) to lose anyway (though have lost 8 lbs since yesterday morning because of bringing home a tummy bug from the hospital :rolleyes: All fluid unfortunately because I can't even keep water down :( ).

Good luck with your horsey search and don't rule out the smaller ones :)

Bay Mare- She is beautiful!!!!! What breed is she????Her color...everything!

I never really thought about horse size, I am partial to drafts/crosses. He just happen to be bigger. My big boy!

newrider.com