Getting back my horse fetish? Is my job the cause?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
I know recently, I have been on a major downer, what with my health, and this never ending winter..
I need to find a mean to an end so to speak, I'm at a cross roads, left going the one horse only route, ahead going the two horse route, and the right going the horseless route..
it's becoming clear I can't cope with the way things are at the moment, and there doesn't seem to be a light on the horizon, or an end to it.. I broke down in front of the yard owner on Sunday, I told her I'm really struggling to manage, it was one of the days, where I felt I had no physical strength to muck out my big 'uns stable, never mind the shelter..
Some where along the road, over the last 12 months, some thing's changed, and I can't put my finger on it:unsure: I've lost that umpth..
Some of it is work related, I'm sure, as they're really piling the pressure on us, and we're getting very little back in return, the machine can be broke, but we're treated like it's our fault.. I feel like I'm being treated as though, I'm not working well enough, even though I'm working to my best abilities, and get the best out of an often sub standard machine, that's desperate for a full maintenance, but not getting it..
I try to tell them, this needs doing, that needs sorting, but they take months to act on it, and often the problem is easily rectified, but they're not willing to put that little bit of effort in, to keep the machines ticking over properly.. and then they wonder why machines are breaking down all the time?
It's having a major effect on me, I'm very highly strung, and the first person to have a tantrum, when it comes to being fed up..
My doctor once said to me, is owning a horse too much for you? Are you making too much work for yourself? After being anaemic for the third time.. Is she right? Have I reached breaking point myself?
I want to enjoy my horses, not see them as a chore, which is where I am at the moment.. I need to put the love of horses back into my life...:help:
Roll on Summer :wink:

Sounds like the only thing that needs changing is your job. Seriously consider looking else where. You will never get your bosses to act differently, so find a career where you will get treated with respect and you will find the rest follows.

It certainly sounds like your job situation needs changing, but winter doesn't help either.

I have been without my ponies since November because of my health suddenly worsening so much that I had to call an ambulance early one morning - and I miss them a lot, and really want them back BUT it has also been a blessing that this happened in the winter. On the days where the weather has been particularly bad it has been a relief not to have to go out and muck out etc. It has forced me to rest.

I have had to admit that I couldn't cope with the ponies at home again without some regular help. Not sure what your financial/family/friend situation is, but could you get some help with mucking out (even if just once a week) etc?

Ali xx

last winter were you on your current yard?

could you move the horses somewhere where they can live out 24/7, i find it really helps me having mine out 24/7, i physically wouldnt cope having them in stables at night.

i too agree about assessing your job before jumping in the deep end selling the horses.

is your loaner not helping much?

In an ideal world, my loaner would be doing 50/50 at the moment its more like 25/75.. I work shifts, loaner is at school.. I pay Yo to turn out, and fetch in when I'm not there, unless loaner is down, which is about 3 evenings a week..
My problem is, I need some one who can turn out when I'm on earlies, and fetch in when I'm on lates.. share the mucking out routine, for example, if I muck out they could ride, and vice versa..
It's not working out that way at all, I don't think she's even riding at all at the moment, as tack is how I left it, normally when she's ridden, it's put back differently..
I keep getting mixed feed back from the YO, saying they think she's lost interest (got info from some one else), then they say they think she's unreliable, then they says she's pretty good:unsure:..
I used to have a really good sharer, who's moved away, just before I moved my boys, and it's a shame I can't find a person like her, she was worth her weight in gold:smile:
I'm also aware that my big lad is taking the michael with her on the ground.. he's dragging her (not bad, just trying it on), despite me telling her not to give him the opportunity to even think about it, and I'm now thinking that long term this isn't going to work out..
I may give her until May/June, and see if the longer days and warmer weather sorts her out:smoke:

newrider.com